doinworkinvans

How do you enjoy your collection?

Don't just limit yourself to them, a good 12th, 15th, 5th, 20th, and 14th couldn't hurt!

Looking for the following:

452nd and 447th Bomb Group items

Anything 12th Armored- especially uniforms

155th Assault Helicopter Company, Camp Coryell, or Ban Me Thuot Vietnam items[/center]

WWII US Navy Uniforms from the Battle Off Samar: USS Johnston DD-557, USS Hoel DD-553, USS Samuel B. Roberts DE-413, USS Heermann DD-532, USS Dennis DE-405, USS John C. Butler DE-339, USS Raymond DE-341, USS Fanshaw Bay St. Lo, White Plains, Kalinin Bay, Kitkun Bay and Gambier Bay...

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2019.gif

I unfortunately don't have space to display most of my collection. It is mainly in well organized closets with some choice pieces out on display. I go through the closets now and again for some hands on time. For now I photograph everything and keep a website. That way I can look at my collection without dragging it all out.

I need to be better about this. Photos document the collection and help keep inventory straight...and prevents me from duplication.

I do have a small area for displaying and I rotate items in and out.

I did a display earlier this fall of one area of my collecting.

I do not profess to be a militaria expert, but I conduct as much research as I am capable of and then write about my findings.
Check out my blogs, The Veteran's Collection (general militaria) and Chevrons and Diamonds (military baseball)

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

I get a guaranteed buzz whenever I go up into the attic and rummage through the storage boxes because I always find stuff that I'd long since forgotten about...sometimes I can't even recall acquiring it in the first place, so it's a bit like having "new" stuff...if you know what I mean?!

Roger that!Due to current space restrictions,alot of my collection stays stored in containers.When I can,I open a few and go through them, re-discovering pieces I'd forgotten.Like a kid raiding a cookie jar,I'm always looking forward to my next "foray". :lol:

It's my "quality" time ^_^

High Flight

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth

And danced the skies on laughter-silver wings;

Sunward I've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth

Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things

You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung

High in the sunlit silence. Hovering there

I've chased the shouting wind along and flung

My eager craft through footless halls of air.

Up, up the long delirious, burning blue

I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace,

where never lark, or even eagle flew;

and while, with silent, lifting mind I've trod

The high untrespassed sanctity of space,

Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

June 9, 1922 – December 11, 1941

" And each man stands with his face in the light of his own drawn sword. Ready to do what a hero can." - Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Don't let the B@stards wear you down -"Vinegar" Joe Stillwell

Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world.Unreasonable

people attempt to adapt the world to themselves.All progress,

therefore, depends on unreasonable people.

George Bernard Shaw

" Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining" , Fletcher,from the movie "The outlaw Josey Wales"

I need to be better about this. Photos document the collection and help keep inventory straight...and prevents me from duplication.

I need to get back on track with this as well. For a while I had a nice spreadsheet with what I spent on the item, a description, and a photo. Time has passed and I dropped the ball, but it does help!

Actively collecting:

13th USAAF uniforms and groups/medal groups!

307th BG, 5th BG, 11th BG, 42nd BG

Also looking for:

WWII Far East Air Force uniforms/groups!

Any Pacific Army Air Force Groups to 5th, 7th, 10th, 14th, 20th AAF

Collecting CBI and ATC Pacific Army Air Force groups

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifmsg-24355-0-77312200-1449362814.gif

USMF's custom photo resize tool:http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/229816-custom-resize-tool-exclusively-for-the-usmf/

I often make a small display on a table, those are my short term displays that get changed to different items more often

sometimes I like to do still life displays and take photos, I enjoy using my collection for photography

This is not my collection or display and i can't remember whose it is, but this pic was posted on the forum a few years ago by someone and I saved it as I thought it was a very nice, cheap, efficient and simple way to display both torso's and single items on shelves.

post-80-0-87794300-1449568823.jpg

Money can't buy happiness -- but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a Corvette than in a Yugo.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

wow - thats sharp!!! I dont remember seeing that one but yea that looks pretty easy to make. I would probably stain it to make it a bit "warmer" but it looks simple and cheap to do!

Actively collecting:

Also looking for:

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifmsg-24355-0-77312200-1449362814.gif

USMF's custom photo resize tool:http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/229816-custom-resize-tool-exclusively-for-the-usmf/

wow - thats sharp!!! I dont remember seeing that one but yea that looks pretty easy to make. I would probably stain it to make it a bit "warmer" but it looks simple and cheap to do!

I guess they are simple Lundia-type racks.

Money can't buy happiness -- but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a Corvette than in a Yugo.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

I found this show case for $2.00 and built a plexiglass top for it.I attached the over size 1919a4 to it.

post-154139-0-41105500-1451349304.jpg

I've only been collecting for about 4 years now so my collection is not as unwieldy as some. When my wife and I purchased our house back in 2012 she was kind enough to allow me to turn one of the spare bedrooms into an office/war room. It's now become her favorite room in the house as she considers it "cozy." I'll take it!

The closed originally had sliding doors which I removed and framed out for bi-fold doors (which I won't install until we go to sell) and added a closet kit with over/under racks to hang jackets. I also have an antique bookcase I use to display my Third Reich items and some US small items. Next to it is an antique dining room table that we no longer use that I use for torso forms. In total I have about 9 torso forms throughout the room that I can rotate. The table allows me to put groupings on it to keep the items together.

I too also enjoy spending time reorganizing and rotating the displays. My wife and I also enjoy spending time in the room with drink.

post-154043-0-22190100-1451414762.jpg

post-154043-0-33080800-1451414775.jpg

Ed

donation2015.gif

Nice looking room!

Collecting WWI 26th Division Machine Gun and Infantry related Helmets, Equipment, Groupings, Photos and Dog Tags!

donation2015.gif

Thank you! I just need to start hanging some more stuff.

Ed,

Love the jackets, but I also really like that Hampton Beach pennant. :D Great display room, there. Are you gonna go with more jackets or posters on the wall?

-- Jon

In memory of Dr. Leo P. Krall, USPHS
USS Uniontown (PF-65)

Interested in uniforms / groupings from Massachusetts and New England veterans

(particularly 26th "Yankee" Division), and original propaganda leaflets from WWI and WWII.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Very nicely done.

Ed Hicks

WARPATH Military Collectibles

819 Hope Mills Road

Fayetteville, North Carolina

(910) 425-7000

Always buying U.S. Airborne & Vietnam Special Forces artifacts and groupings, Painted and Rare U.S. Helmets; U.S. Valor Medal Groupings, Fine Swords...

Buying or trading for my collection: 1950s-1970s Vietnam era Rolex & Tudor Watches...

Contact me before you sell... [email protected]<script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript">/* */</script>

My Web Sites: http://www.battlefieldmuseum.org

http://www.warpathmilitaria.com 

Posted Image

Ed,

Love the jackets, but I also really like that Hampton Beach pennant. :D Great display room, there. Are you gonna go with more jackets or posters on the wall?

-- Jon

Thanks Jon! I'm partial to the Hampton Beach pennant as well!

I'll probably try to work in some more pictures. I have a very large Third Reich flag that was a vet bringback from a friend of the family that would look good on the wall. I've just been a little hesitant to hang as I wouldn't to damage the hoist. My thought was vertically behind the table and mannequins.

I do have this area with a couple of war bond posters that my wife picked out and had framed. They're in the office during the year and then on the living room mantle at Christmas.

post-154043-0-61785800-1451430963.jpg

post-154043-0-00577600-1451430982.jpg

Ed

donation2015.gif

I've only been collecting for about 4 years now so my collection is not as unwieldy as some. When my wife and I purchased our house back in 2012 she was kind enough to allow me to turn one of the spare bedrooms into an office/war room. It's now become her favorite room in the house as she considers it "cozy." I'll take it!

The closed originally had sliding doors which I removed and framed out for bi-fold doors (which I won't install until we go to sell) and added a closet kit with over/under racks to hang jackets. I also have an antique bookcase I use to display my Third Reich items and some US small items. Next to it is an antique dining room table that we no longer use that I use for torso forms. In total I have about 9 torso forms throughout the room that I can rotate. The table allows me to put groupings on it to keep the items together.

I too also enjoy spending time reorganizing and rotating the displays. My wife and I also enjoy spending time in the room with drink.

Ed - very nicely done. Appears you are a uniform collector much like myself. I really like the mannequins along with the full racks. Looks very sharp.

Any stories behind those 5th & 13th AF jackets I see hanging there??

Actively collecting:

Also looking for:

Ed - very nicely done. Appears you are a uniform collector much like myself. I really like the mannequins along with the full racks. Looks very sharp.

Any stories behind those 5th & 13th AF jackets I see hanging there??

Thank you to everyone for the kind comments!! In order to avoid going off topic I started a new thread for my displays.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/259249-my-officewar-rooom/?p=2079512

Ed

donation2015.gif

Hello and this is my first post.
Been collecting WW2 pilot headgear and cockpit items for years. Recently picked up a helmet and recievers. Found this thread...

I tried the oil or soap with spoon method to insert the ANB-H-1 receivers into a A-11 leather flight helmet. I had acquired both independently. I could see that if inpersisted, the 70+ year old rubber earcups would crack or split, so I stopped to think out of the box. What i thought was i doubt these were put in originally from the outside, but rather the inside as the helmet was assembled (unless the rubber was far more mallable than it is today).

So i decided to very gently remove the sheepskin cloth inner earcup receiver covers. The old glue can be pulled on and the thin cover edges pulled back if inwas very slow and careful not to tear them.

As you can see, it turned out nice