doinworkinvans

How do you enjoy your collection?

Do others of you worry about fire?????????

ken

Thanks for the kind words Ken!

And yes, all the time!!

Actively collecting:

13th USAAF uniforms and groups/medal groups!

307th BG, 5th BG, 11th BG, 42nd BG

Also looking for:

WWII Far East Air Force uniforms/groups!

Any Pacific Army Air Force Groups to 5th, 7th, 10th, 14th, 20th AAF

Collecting CBI and ATC Pacific Army Air Force groups

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifmsg-24355-0-77312200-1449362814.gif

USMF's custom photo resize tool:http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/229816-custom-resize-tool-exclusively-for-the-usmf/

I'd love to hear the best/most interesting comments we've heard from our wives about our collections (but that's probably a matter for another thread). I usually just have my most recent find out because usually it's my favorite thing (until my next thing).

My wife thinks this is one of the most stupid activities a man can do. It drives her crazy that I sit in the garage and look at my displays or drag everything out and "play" with it.

This hobby costs money (although not as much as the china she likes to buy), takes up room that she would use for her china, you can't eat off of it (not like we eat off the china) and finally...oh! She buys china.

I don't gripe about her china (hey, I'm a collector) and she has agreed to not gripe about my patches.

I keep most of my stuff, not my "good" stuff, in the garage in two huge file cabinets. My medals are in a double-decker library card file cabinet. A few things I have framed or pinned to cork boards (beret flashes mostly) but mostly my patches either live in the file cabinets or, the "good" stuff, in a closet in an inside wall to minimize damage in case of fire. I've been doing this for 48 years and I've lost two collections: One to fire and one to burglary. You can only safeguard so much!!

Wiley Winter, TNARNG (Ret)

ASMIC 1290
TMCA

OIF 06-07

In memoriam: 2d CPL Henry H. Winter
Co A, 2d Kentucky Infantry (Mounted), Buckner's Brigade, CSA

I must put in a good word for my good wife...

When I began the conversation about me wanting to collect again she was great about it. She remembers my first collection that I sold just before we married and knew of my passion.

I said I would only want 3 or 4 fully dressed dummies...and she was fine with it...

I am now up to 35 or so. She has concerns but when we have guests over, the first thing she suggests is that I take them down to see the "museum"...and that includes female guests as well.

I know she won't say that deep inside, she finds it a tad fascinating...

TR

In Memoriam

My Father, Henry W. Milton, USAAF, Burma, 1943-1945, Lost May 2, 2017

My Grandfather, Nathan Hale, US Navy, USS Rhode Island, 1915-1918, Lost 1968

My 3X Great Grandfather, Sgt. Frederick Hale, 55th New York,

wounded and captured at Malvern Hill, July 1, 1862, died as Prisoner of War, Richmond, July 24, 1862

Fire? Hell yes...that and moths!! :o

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

I like war rooms but nearly every home may be subject to fire, smoke and water damage. Not to mention Hurricanes, Tornados, Floods, Wildfires, Earthquakes, Volcanos and Tsunamis. :o

And then there is theft, moth infestation, pet damage and your kid's friends messing with and damaging the collection. :(

Paranoid yet ?

Wharf

In Peace and War, US Merchant Marine. WARNING: Dangerous Cargo. No Visitors, No Smoking, No Open Lights.

i use to go down to my basement collection room and just walk around:looking,smell yes smell old army stuff smell yumi:)reposition stuff for an better angle,dusting and just enjoying the gear:) remembering where i gott it from.

cheers ken

You have not lived until you sit outside of a sunny warm day with a glass of iced tea wearing an M2 helmet and correct jump liner. Add a M1928A1 Thompson sitting on your lap and you have a great day.

Crapgame: His name is Kelly. Used to be a Lieutenant, pretty good one too-

until someone gave him orders to attack the wrong hill. Wiped out half a company of GI's...

Somebody had to get the blame so he got picked....

Oddball (Laughing): Oh man, I don't like officers...

Crapgame (Laughing): Neither does he, so relax!

You have not lived until you sit outside of a sunny warm day with a glass of iced tea wearing an M2 helmet and correct jump liner. Add a M1928A1 Thompson sitting on your lap and you have a great day.

and you said in that nightmare the chinstrap "somehow" got torn off and the loop broke off. you forgot to mention it started off as a dream sitting there sippin tea

"America shall win the war. Therefore, I will work. I will save. I will sacrifice. I will endure. I will fight cheerfully and do my utmost, as if the whole issue of the struggle depended on me alone." -Martin A. Treptow Jake L.

NO ONE IN HISTORY HAS EVER CHOKED TO DEATH FROM SWALLOWING THEIR PRIDE.

Heaven help me, how I miss my friend

I keep very good care of my M2. The nightmare is of it tearing. I have actually done what I said. We have a fairly privet back yard thankfully. Luckily no damage has occurred to it yet....

Crapgame: His name is Kelly. Used to be a Lieutenant, pretty good one too-

until someone gave him orders to attack the wrong hill. Wiped out half a company of GI's...

Somebody had to get the blame so he got picked....

Oddball (Laughing): Oh man, I don't like officers...

Crapgame (Laughing): Neither does he, so relax!

Irish - good looking basement!

It appears that most smaller items can be displayed well on the wall. I suppose the only problem is coming up with enough shadow boxes, rikers, and frames!

I also like the way you have some uniforms inside some shadow boxes....what size/dimensions are those?

The large cases are 24x18 and you can adequately display a lightweight uniform in one. Most of the other cases and clip art frames are Hobby Lobby and when on sale inexpensive. I collect mainly insignia so storage and display is somewhat easier.

donation2017.gif

Thank you for the dimensions....that would actually help uniform collectors (like myself) to be able to display more of them. As mannequins do take up quite a bit of room.

keep the ideas flowing people!!

Actively collecting:

Also looking for:

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifmsg-24355-0-77312200-1449362814.gif

USMF's custom photo resize tool:http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/229816-custom-resize-tool-exclusively-for-the-usmf/

OP...I was having those same thoughts. I mainly was collecting WWII but it was getting out of hand. I had no real focus other than U.S. WW2. I still ended up getting German stuff, EAST German stuff and modern stuff. I just couldn't keep track of it all. I have a small room in the basement and it had a small dry bar and it was just getting to be too much to handle. I wanted to be able to enjoy what I had, not have it sitting in boxes out of sight. I also wanted it to be a room people could hang out in. I've seen a lot of AMAZING displays and man-caves, but a lot of them are so full there really isn't a way to sit and enjoy them. Therefore I went ahead and sold of a BOATLOAD of my collection and really narrowed down what I'm collecting. I also made the room much more user friendly and multiple people can hang out down there. Over the next few posts are pictures of what I've narrowed down to.

post-93934-0-19178500-1449179457.jpg

This picture is looking from the TV in the picture above towards the other side of the room.

post-93934-0-61837600-1449179557.jpg

Fortunately for me I am able to have my collection out for viewing. I am, however, having to be more creative on displaying as I am running out of space. I have recently purchased two torso mannequins to put some of my uniforms on. I am on the look-out for full mannequins.

There is a separate thread of my collection: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/197764-my-wwii-a-little-bit-of-everything-collection-war-room/

As explained in my thread I pick up whatever I can as I live in a smaller community and the opportunity to get items is limited. I do not buy online as I find going on the hunt to be exciting. My wife is very understanding with my collection because she understands that she has her "collections" or weaknesses too! Unfortunately I do not have much time to "play" with my collection but I do take time once a week or so to go up to my room to just have a look around. Like someone else mentioned my wife asks me to allows others to see it when we have guests over.

I would like to be more hardcore about collecting but I try to stay practical about it too.

There I was...Mannequins to the right of me and Armors to the left of me and then...I got outta control...When my wife said "No stinky green sh!! in the house!" all militaria was relegated to the garage and my store...The swords and armors stayed in the house along with my Airborne groupings, but the full dressed D-Day Paratrooper was gone-No more room in the Inn so to speak!

Fast forward more than a few years and I'm struggling to display what I have...Groupings are boxed in most cases and I rotate some on rare occasions, but it's tough to display uniforms other than in closets. Ed

post-3653-0-89575400-1449274858.jpg

Ed Hicks

WARPATH Military Collectibles

819 Hope Mills Road

Fayetteville, North Carolina

(910) 425-7000

Always buying U.S. Airborne & Vietnam Special Forces artifacts and groupings, Painted and Rare U.S. Helmets; U.S. Valor Medal Groupings, Fine Swords...

Buying or trading for my collection: 1950s-1970s Vietnam era Rolex & Tudor Watches...

Contact me before you sell... [email protected]<script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript">/* */</script>

My Web Sites: http://www.battlefieldmuseum.org

http://www.warpathmilitaria.com 

Posted Image

I once had a large war room that got out of control, and I came to a realization that I just had too much "stuff". I have narrowed down significantly since then, keeping only my best items, and those which I enjoy looking at and re-researching. I re-evaluate what I do keep almost daily and would part with most of what I have. In the meantime, It makes for a nice display in my office where I do some of my work and research.

Justin

Ebay Sales: wwii.uniform.collector

Auctioneer Website: http://www.cnymilitaria.com

Facebook Sales Group

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

I love the Eagle Snap web gear, so here are some early Great War Figures....

The 1903 belt with suspenders and Krag bayonet displayed on the center figure is a recreation of the 12th Engineers who went to France with the earliest of gear...

I love it, but I could be a bit biased. ;)

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

There I was...Mannequins to the right of me and Armors to the left of me and then...I got outta control...When my wife said "No stinky green sh!! in the house!" all militaria was relegated to the garage and my store...The swords and armors stayed in the house along with my Airborne groupings, but the full dressed D-Day Paratrooper was gone-No more room in the Inn so to speak!

Fast forward more than a few years and I'm struggling to display what I have...Groupings are boxed in most cases and I rotate some on rare occasions, but it's tough to display uniforms other than in closets. Ed

Wow - it looks like you have some very, very nice uniform/groups there! I can only imagine....

Its a shame you cant display them all!

daniel

Actively collecting:

Also looking for:

I once had a large war room that got out of control, and I came to a realization that I just had too much "stuff". I have narrowed down significantly since then, keeping only my best items, and those which I enjoy looking at and re-researching. I re-evaluate what I do keep almost daily and would part with most of what I have. In the meantime, It makes for a nice display in my office where I do some of my work and research.

Justin

Justin,

Keep up the good work!

You have a nice display.

Actively collecting:

Also looking for:

Hi

For me it is quality over quanity... If i cannot display it in my "War Room" i just don't see the point in owning it, i might aswell let someone else have the pleasure.

It has been a hard education to teach myself to go to a show and buy nothing, waiting for that 1 item that really fits in the collection.

I have been lucky enough to be involved in sourcing large collections, and it always amazes me how many people have a huge collection of plastic tubs and never really get enjoy what they have.

Regards

Tom

THE OVERLORD COLLECTION

a virtual museum at theoverlordcollection.co.uk

www.m-1helmets.co.uk

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

I've got one good sized corner of a room dedicated to the collection, where I have 9 free-standing mannequins (3 full, 6 half), and about as many homemade torso forms on a table (with a few spares in the basement for public displays). Most of the collection is stored in Rubbermaid tubs or garment bags in the spare closet, but this does allow me to go in and rotate the display every so often. That keeps the display fresh and lets me reevaluate what to keep and what to move along.

In memory of Dr. Leo P. Krall, USPHS
USS Uniontown (PF-65)

Interested in uniforms / groupings from Massachusetts and New England veterans

(particularly 26th "Yankee" Division), and original propaganda leaflets from WWI and WWII.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

I'm admittedly late to the collecting part of this. I spent from my college years in the early 80s through the present chasing vet stories and the history, but never thought about the 'stuff' part of this until the well began to dry up dramatically with the passing of so many of the vets. I'd had my Dad's helmet from the 60s and an beat up RAF type C helmet from when I was a teenager in the 70s, but other than that, it had been photos and correspondence with vets from all over.

When I decided to see if it was possible to get the beaten up type C fixed, it stirred the fire a bit. Once that was done, and confirmed it was a USAAF used example, I thought about building the rest of the pilot below it. I quickly found myself hunting for lots of stuff and just as quickly realized that I was one of those folks who'd get carried away if i allowed my self to. So I've limited it to completing an 8th AF pilot and a 9th AF pilot. This has kept the collection small and focused. I'm in the process of finishing off my oldest son's old room as my 'den' where all the books, research, prints and stuff will go. If I never got another piece of anything it will be pretty full. So for me right now, I keep an eye out for specific things for my pilots, but other than that, the setting up with the room will be the fun.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif