doinworkinvans

How do you enjoy your collection?

Over the years I have seen many of those who prefer to collect and focus on one certain area or conflict.

Then there are those who collect only one certain time period.

And also those who collect a little of everything.....and sometimes, EVERYTHING military that crosses their path.

Im curious to know how you enjoy it all with limited space? Now, I know, there are some who are more blessed than others in terms of space, but even still, you cant keep every single little DUI or pin or ribbon out on display. Sure big uniforms and groups are pretty easy to keep up but what about all the photo albums that come with the groups or all the extra bags of insignia?

Plenty of topics on how to preserve the items, but Im curious as to how you all deal with all of your collection as a WHOLE and how you take time to enjoy it all!

I have seen many topics that say something like, "Was going through some boxes I haven't been in over 20 years!"

How do you keep track of it all? Do you separate it all and label it in bins? Or do you only keep enough at a time to make sure you have room to display it all?

And for those who collect a little of everything, I certainly want to know your secret!

And please, if you have tips/tricks - share!

Oh yea - show pictures too if you have them!

(I would share mine, but we are in the process of selling our house so its all packed up)

-Daniel

Actively collecting:

13th USAAF uniforms and groups/medal groups!

307th BG, 5th BG, 11th BG, 42nd BG

Also looking for:

WWII Far East Air Force uniforms/groups!

Any Pacific Army Air Force Groups to 5th, 7th, 10th, 14th, 20th AAF

Collecting CBI and ATC Pacific Army Air Force groups

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifmsg-24355-0-77312200-1449362814.gif

USMF's custom photo resize tool:http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/229816-custom-resize-tool-exclusively-for-the-usmf/

Well Daniel I'm a collector of a little bit of everything. My main passion is bolt action rifles of the world post Civil War through Vietnam but my two "pet projects" are WW2 Japanese militaria and U.S. militaria from WW2 through Vietnam with a little bit of WW1 thrown in the mix. I do however have a very small contingent of WW2 German items that belonged to my great uncle but they are kept out of the display as they mean way too much for me to risk damaging them or losing them. For me anyway if I find something that seems worth the money that fits into my collections then I try and get it. I also have a good size nook in my bedroom to use for my displays so I literally live with my collection around me. The items I don't have on display such as my great uncle's German bring backs, some WW1 canteens, and a couple of U.S. uniforms I have being stored either in safes or lying in the trunks that I'm using for my display until I can get more table space and proper materials to display them.

post-159863-0-82537600-1449000161.jpg

Collector and preserver of "old war stuff"; son and grandson of veterans
Father: 1st Marine Division, Echo 2/7 1966-1968
Grandfather: USCG 1941-1946, USAF 1950-1966

Always on the hunt for marine corps items from E/2/7 from WW2, Korea, and Vietnam

Also looking for items related to the 330th Infantry Regiment, 83rd Infantry Division from D-Day through to the end of 1944 and items related the Battle of Brest

I'm one of those people who would fit into the "those who collect a little of everything.....and sometimes, EVERYTHING" category but I'm slowly moving away from that, saving money to purchase items that, not to say are better quality (I still will snatch up anything I can get) but those that I don't see that often, or items I would absolutely die for to have in my collection.

I'm limited to space aswell, but I have a shelf with 4 levels that I have 7 Large display cases, 2 Medium, and 1 smaller display case. The small-sized case along with the 2 mediums contain separate groupings, then I have 4 large in use displaying Medals/Ribbons, another with Badges/Insignias (excluding rank), another contains WWII and Modern-era Enlisted Chevrons, and the last one contains all of my WWII SSIs.

The other shelves contains other miscellaneous items that I want on display, while I have other insignias, badges, Covers/Caps, and other items tucked away in "storage". I also occasionally change the uniforms I have displayed in my room, while the others are hung up in my closet (according to date and branch)

It is quite a challenge due to spacing but I'm happy with the results.

D

WWII-KW
Uniforms, Insignia, SSIs, Badges, Medals, Ribbons

mine is similar to Blu, mine is displayed in my room, i have extras in bins or I even fold or roll extra fatigues/BDUs and use them to stuff butt packs of the same period so they appear to be full while knowing where everything is and dont worry about if this has what im looking for in it. as for items that go on shelfs I have gotten more creative building a shelf that doubles as a place to hang uniforms while not technically on display. which the topic on it can be round here
http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/219797-cheap-and-organized-display-idea/
post-125364-0-41733600-1449002816.jpg

since then its got a bit packed but hold quite a few uniforms and about 12-14 helmets if you get creative with space... but ive cleared it out with a few wall mounted helmet stands inspired by 1966ww2collector. which also double as their intended use as a shelf... also a few wall mounted boards with hooks for dog tags, compasses, whistles and those sort of things. also a larger one which can support over 500 pounds in uniforms (not that it should need to)

post-125364-0-91453800-1449002817.jpgpost-125364-0-44276000-1449002819.jpgpost-125364-0-92324800-1449002820.jpg

"America shall win the war. Therefore, I will work. I will save. I will sacrifice. I will endure. I will fight cheerfully and do my utmost, as if the whole issue of the struggle depended on me alone." -Martin A. Treptow Jake L.

NO ONE IN HISTORY HAS EVER CHOKED TO DEATH FROM SWALLOWING THEIR PRIDE.

Heaven help me, how I miss my friend

As a collector of mainly dog tags, I attached many screw back hooks onto 4 wooden boards and hang the tags individually. I handle them frequently and it's easy to display and view them this way. I never realized until moving how many uniforms I own, but now that they're all hanging in one closet I'd say 30-35 uniforms. Those are kind of hidden away but I do still enjoy them.

Here's how I displayed a small chunk of my collection at the last house

post-104906-0-91768000-1449003264.jpg

Looking to buy US dog tags, any era. Contact me and let me know what you have!

I think my enjoyment comes from going through everything every couple of months, cleaning, dusting, rearranging. Just recently prompted me to start trimming things down and display what I consider the best. I've put a lot of things, either redundant items from groups, or less eye-catching things away, such as a family grouping to something like 4 brothers (2 navy, 1 army, stateside, 1 merchant marine) and a brother-in-law that was part of a USMC ship's detachment. Neat group, I did some sort of extensive detective stuff to figure out how the heck it all went together, but it takes a lot of space, and I am crowded as is. Figure I'll have less to take care of if I display less! Other than that, lately, I also focus on a fellow and build a model as researched and detailed as I can manage of what a man flew, rode, or fought in, and at the very least, I drop in morning and night and just look. Now that I only have half of what I had hanging, it is easier to see a man's uniform and know who he was and what he did and just think.

Looking for the following:

452nd and 447th Bomb Group items

Anything 12th Armored- especially uniforms

155th Assault Helicopter Company, Camp Coryell, or Ban Me Thuot Vietnam items[/center]

WWII US Navy Uniforms from the Battle Off Samar: USS Johnston DD-557, USS Hoel DD-553, USS Samuel B. Roberts DE-413, USS Heermann DD-532, USS Dennis DE-405, USS John C. Butler DE-339, USS Raymond DE-341, USS Fanshaw Bay St. Lo, White Plains, Kalinin Bay, Kitkun Bay and Gambier Bay...

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2019.gif

I am one of the fortunate ones who has a spare guest room that has been converted into a mini-museum. My portraits are framed and cover the hallway wall. I am a big believer of 'if you can't display it, what's the point?' however, much of my photos and paper are in binders out of necessity, and some of the bits and bobs that came with groups but don't particularly display well are in a tub in the closet, as I am not one to split groups. The binders are all readily accessible on the shelves.

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

"FOR OUR TOMORROWS, THEY GAVE THEIR TODAYS"
RIP
Sgt Jesse 'Jeff Nasty' Balthaser
Sgt John P Huling
Cpl Carlos 'Gilo Monster' Gilorozco
Cpl Stephen C 'Socks' Sockalosky
LCpl Joshua A 'Scottie' Scott
LCpl Jason Lee 'Birdman' Frye
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
LCpl Osbrany 'Oz' Montes De Oca
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Like most museums, what you'll see in my man-cave represents probably only 25% of my collection, with the remainder being in storage up in the attic for lack of display space. After 30 years of collecting I've amassed quite a lot! I get a guaranteed buzz whenever I go up into the attic and rummage through the storage boxes because I always find stuff that I'd long since forgotten about...sometimes I can't even recall acquiring it in the first place, so it's a bit like having "new" stuff...if you know what I mean?!

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

WOW! Some really good responses! Looks like its a mix of storage containers or only having (mostly) what you can display.

As brig said, I am not one for splitting groups or having a bunch packed up, so mostly I have only what I have (or had) room for....

On the other hand, as others have stated, Im sure it is a joy to go and rummage and find some things to switch out display that you had forgot you even had in the first place!

But I guess that's where staying focused on one thing (which is what I TRY to do) comes in handy!

Keep em' coming!

Actively collecting:

Also looking for:

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifmsg-24355-0-77312200-1449362814.gif

USMF's custom photo resize tool:http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/229816-custom-resize-tool-exclusively-for-the-usmf/

I have most of the basement. About 25% of my collection is hanging on the walls plus a little bit of laundry.

post-758-0-35524200-1449007987.jpg

donation2017.gif

My wife and I have discussed this before we moved to our current house, but the bottom floor of our house is roughly 1,250 sq. ft and I have been told that area is mine to display the collection. Needs some work, so I am currently using roughly half of it. As of now, I do have some of the collection in boxes, but that will change as work gets done and more items get displayed.

Always looking for US and foreign militaria from the Central American wars circa 1970-1990

donation2017.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I'd love to hear the best/most interesting comments we've heard from our wives about our collections (but that's probably a matter for another thread). I usually just have my most recent find out because usually it's my favorite thing (until my next thing).

I unfortunately don't have space to display most of my collection. It is mainly in well organized closets with some choice pieces out on display. I go through the closets now and again for some hands on time. For now I photograph everything and keep a website. That way I can look at my collection without dragging it all out.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gif

donation2017.gif

I unfortunately don't have space to display most of my collection. It is mainly in well organized closets with some choice pieces out on display. I go through the closets now and again for some hands on time. For now I photograph everything and keep a website. That way I can look at my collection without dragging it all out.

strawberry - I must say, I am always impressed by your virtual collection. You have by far the best collection for those who don't have the "space" to display all their items. Its one of my favorites.

Actively collecting:

Also looking for:

I have most of the basement. About 25% of my collection is hanging on the walls plus a little bit of laundry.

Irish - good looking basement!

It appears that most smaller items can be displayed well on the wall. I suppose the only problem is coming up with enough shadow boxes, rikers, and frames!

I also like the way you have some uniforms inside some shadow boxes....what size/dimensions are those?

Actively collecting:

Also looking for:

For those who have to go the storage container route.....do you have them all labeled and sorted?

Do you keep them downstairs where its climate controlled or do you keep some upstairs?

Storage containers take up ALOT of space!

Any other alternatives??

Actively collecting:

Also looking for:

Good day all,

Great topic, and for me, quite timely.

I am in the final throes of completing my addition to the display space currently in my home (I always wanted to be the curator of my own museum). At the same time my collection has come to primarily focus on 1900-1918, so I sold off my Second World War collection to fund the early one. These two events allowed me to really expand the quality and quantity of my Pre War/Great War displays.

Fortunately, the particular way I collect, leaves me very little excess items. I am driven by the recreations I am looking to produce. I therefore only purchase those items I need to complete those portrayals.

The only problem of course, is that I will eventually run out of room. Actually, I am almost there now before the room is even complete.

So, now that my purchases are fewer and far between, I spend most my time caring for the group and changing the displays when I come across items that are in better condition or are more accurate than what I currently have. I will typically sell off those items I no longer need to again add to the funding (I receive no donations for the museum...LoL).

I will post a few pix.

Here are two view of the more complete portion of the display room....(forgive the two incomplete figures)...

post-92682-0-78138400-1449066714.jpg

post-92682-0-76158500-1449066734.jpg

In Memoriam

My Father, Henry W. Milton, USAAF, Burma, 1943-1945, Lost May 2, 2017

My Grandfather, Nathan Hale, US Navy, USS Rhode Island, 1915-1918, Lost 1968

My 3X Great Grandfather, Sgt. Frederick Hale, 55th New York,

wounded and captured at Malvern Hill, July 1, 1862, died as Prisoner of War, Richmond, July 24, 1862

Here are a few more...I won't post them all as I will be posting the entire collection here once the room is complete...

post-92682-0-88731200-1449067192.jpg

post-92682-0-97386300-1449067247.jpg

In Memoriam

wounded and captured at Malvern Hill, July 1, 1862, died as Prisoner of War, Richmond, July 24, 1862

Here is the incomplete half of the room...forgive the mess but it is coming along!

Although these figures are currently all on floor stands, they will end up on table tops (except the greatcoat-ed figures...)

All in all, there will be a total of nearly 35 figures. I hope to display it all on the forums here early in 2016...

post-92682-0-55418600-1449067449.jpg

post-92682-0-42741800-1449067458.jpg

In Memoriam

I love the Eagle Snap web gear, so here are some early Great War Figures....

The 1903 belt with suspenders and Krag bayonet displayed on the center figure is a recreation of the 12th Engineers who went to France with the earliest of gear...

post-92682-0-47557200-1449067672.jpg

post-92682-0-65569400-1449067750.jpg

In Memoriam

Daniel,

Great topic. Thanks for starting the thread. The comments (up to this point) have been very interesting and helpful. Hope I can use some in the future.

I am mostly interested in WWII, CW and other period firearms along with associated field equipment and knives and bayonets. Also anything Military Working Dog is an A ++. I've recently started to assemble the type of field equipment and personal types items I used in VN.

All the firearms I keep in a gun safe along with (to me) not replaceable items. Other items are in Gerstner type chests and I've just recently purchased a large metal multi drawer tool chest to make it easier to get to/look at other items. When possible my CW prints are framed and displayed.

Do others of you worry about fire?????????

ken

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less."

GEN Robert E. Lee

Daniel,

Great topic. Thanks for starting the thread. The comments (up to this point) have been very interesting and helpful. Hope I can use some in the future.

I am mostly interested in WWII, CW and other period firearms along with associated field equipment and knives and bayonets. Also anything Military Working Dog is an A ++. I've recently started to assemble the type of field equipment and personal types items I used in VN.

All the firearms I keep in a gun safe along with (to me) not replaceable items. Other items are in Gerstner type chests and I've just recently purchased a large metal multi drawer tool chest to make it easier to get to/look at other items. When possible my CW prints are framed and displayed.

Do others of you worry about fire?????????

ken

Ugh...the F word!!

Always...the worst fear...

TR

In Memoriam