Heinz History Museum WWII Exhibit: We Can Do It!

gwb123

I wish I had known about this earlier, but through January 3, 2016 those of you around the Pittsburgh PA area can take advantage of a temporary exhibit on WWII at the Heinz History Center.

http://www.heinzhistorycenter.org/exhibits/we-can-do-it-wwii

And for those who can't be there in person, here is a page of virtual tours.

http://www.heinzhistorycenter.org/learn/virtual-tours/we-can-do-it-wwii-virtual-tour

The exhibit of course focuses on Pittsburgh's role during the war. As the narrator points out, Pennsylvania produced more steel than all of the Axis Powers together. As the common knowledge goes, the Axis grossly underestimated America's productive capacity.

Heinz 1.jpg

Developed by the History Center, this 10,000 square-foot exhibition focuses on Pittsburgh’s role on both the home front and the battlefield during World War II.

The exhibition explores the development of the jeep, a uniquely American invention produced by the American Bantam Car Company in Butler, Pa., and reveal the stories behind real-life “Rosie the Riveters” and local Tuskegee Airmen whose contributions made an unquestionable impact on the war effort.

Featuring nearly 300 artifacts, four life-like museum figures, interactive displays, and immersive museum settings, We Can Do It! brings the 1940s to life as the nation commemorates the 75th anniversary of the start of WWII.

The History Center partnered with several organizations to develop the exhibit, including the Smithsonian Institution, Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Soldiers and Sailors Museum, Holocaust Center of Pittsburgh, Veteran’s Voices, Bantam Jeep Heritage Festival, Association of the United States Army (AUSA) Fort Pitt Chapter, the Tuskegee Airmen of the Western Pennsylvania Region, Zippo/Case Museum, First Frontier Mechanized Cavalry, and more.

Below: This jeep, “Gramps,” is a 1940 prototype Bantam Reconnaissance Car (BRC) that is the oldest known Bantam jeep in existence .

Heinz 2.jpg

The Hall of Industry features artifacts produced for the Allied forces by a variety of Western Pennsylvania companies, including Westinghouse, U.S. Steel, Dravo, Alcoa, MSA, Heinz, American Bridge Company, Zippo, and many more.

Heinz 3.jpg

This early Willy’s jeep on display in We Can Do It! WWII features the slat-grill that was later replaced by a more inexpensive molded grill.

Heinz 4.jpg

A display of artifacts from the “Mighty Eighth,” - the U.S. Eighth Air Force - a formidable air armada over Europe during WWII. Many Western Pennsylvanians served with the “Mighty Eighth” as pilots, bombardiers, navigators, and mechanics.

Heinz 5.jpg

A display of weaponry and medals from WWII including a M2 60mm light infantry mortar with one mortar round and the Purple Heart and personal effects of Pvt. Walter Yager of McKeesport.

Heinz 6.jpg

The History Center recently installed a 38-ton, World War II Sherman tank in front of the museum’s Smithsonian wing. The 1944 M4A3(76)W HVSS Sherman tank, nicknamed the “Easy Eight,” participated in the “Battle of the Bulge" as part of the 8th Tank Battalion, Fourth Armored Division in December 1944.

And there is more! I wish I could get out there, but hopefully some of our members will get a chance to see it while it is still there.

Heinz 7.jpg

I'm originally from the Pittsburgh area. My sister (she still lives there) said they ran the Sherman up and down the street one day so that people can see it in motion. I'll be around Pittsburgh during the holidays. I'll only have a few days to visit family. There may be a small window of opportunity to check this out. I'll certainly post pics if I go. Thanks for posting this info!

Frank

Wonderful exhibit! The virtual tour is outstanding. A real tribute to the military and Pennsylvanians who served in WW2. Thanks for the links. Bobgee

Gil, Thank you for posting the photos. It's real inspirational. When are you going to venture down to Kansas City for a visit? Jack