Need Help Dating WW2 Marine Officers Peak Hat

Raidercollector

Raidercollector

Hi

I Need some help Dating this Officer's Marine Hat. I bought it as WW2, Not sure if it is a WW2 Hat, Never saw one like this on the inside above the canning? Can some one help me on this ? Most appreciate it.

Nick

post-421-0-97213600-1448913591.jpg

post-421-0-82625800-1448913610.jpg

post-421-0-21927600-1448913631.jpg

Are the buttons brownish?

Based on the one large label you show, I'd say closer to 1960 than 1940.

Does the top have the decoration stitched on it?

hatinside.jpg

The lable with the EGA is often seen in items from the mid 1950s and later from my understanding.I have an officers set and he went in in 37 and retired in 54.His unu forms gave the Approved Lable in them and are 50s dated.

People tend to make huge mistakes on Marine and naval visor caps when they see the wicker thinking that it makes the cap much older than it really is. I know that there were still at least a couple of companies that were still making caps with the wicker inside into the 1990's. As has been stated in the thread previously, this cap dates to the late 1950's/ early 1960's.

Allan

Raidercollector

Well I will send it Back . Thank you guys for helping me on this hat, I had a suspicion on it, But I bought it before really researching it. I just believed the seller. I,m a dum rump on this one.

Nick

Now would WW2 ones just have GOLD Buttons, ? It seems I have other hats with eighter or ? .

Nick

Black buttons for the green uniforms - brass for the dress blues.

The buttons on the sides are not a true black.The ones I looked at on the caps I have are more of a anodized brown or bronze color.Even on a WW2 enlisted green and tan Cover I have the buttons are more bronze/brown as the uniform buttons tend to be for WW2.

To me the full anodized black seem to appear in the Vietnam era and later.

You see a more brown finish on Egas when they changed over to the 58 pattern EGA and only used the dark brown for a short period before going to the black finish.

You see a more brown finish on Egas when they changed over to the 58 pattern EGA and only used the dark brown for a short period before going to the black finish.

At the thrift store today I happened to find a Marine Ike-style jacket with one of the brownest EGAs I think I've ever found. They have the small dot on the upper anchor fluke which marks them as "modern era" EGA's. The chocolate brown further dates them to 1960 plus or minus a couple of years.

brownega.jpg

Yes

Those are the brown finished that I belive were used for a short period.The EGA (above)is the pattern that replaced the earlier EGA often seen from WW2 through Korea.

• 2 weeks later...
American Heritage

I would guess this cover is anywhere from the late 1950s and most probably the 1960s. The white label with EGA on it was def used post-ww2. I wore this same type cover when in the Corps and mine also had the cane interior and the exact same white EGA label which indicated that the uniform item met the Corps' "accepted standards" - officer uniform items are still really made well and out of quality materials which is why they are so expensive.