Portraits of WWI Auxiliaries

jagjetta

Today's offering is a bit of a head scratcher. Identified as Mrs. (Dr. Louis) Florence Marie Rocovieri of San Francisco, I don't know what uniform she is wearing. She appears to be working in the War Savings Service program.

I zoomed in on her hat and it looks like a medical caduceus insignia on her hat. I tried to zoom in on the pin on her lapel but can't tell what it says. I will look thru some of my books. Can you tell any of the letters on the pin on her lapel?

....Kat

And one of my favorites!

Mine too!

Brennan, I was hoping you'd post some of your "obscurities". Thought of you when this topic came up ?

- Chuck

I zoomed in on her hat and it looks like a medical caduceus insignia on her hat. I tried to zoom in on the pin on her lapel but can't tell what it says. I will look thru some of my books. Can you tell any of the letters on the pin on her lapel?

....Kat

"W.S.S" War Savings Service

post-949-0-68968400-1450298133.jpg

This one was really hard to research. It came with a bunch of photos of a bakery and butchery....... at first I thought she was a nurse, but she's actually a dietician. The cuff band on the left sleeve gave it away. The lack of insignia is because she wasn't enrolled in the Red Cross. If she was, she would've been able to sport US collar insignia and a caduceus with a D.

dietician.jpg?w=676

Going through my photos..... came across something that will send chills down Chucks spine! Check out what this chick is sporting on her ascot....

redcross.jpg?w=676

That certainly does look like it could be a French aviation badge.

I'm in love with another woman; just don't tell my wife

It looks like she has two overseas chevrons to boot.

This image is more proof that auxiliary units, like the ARC, wanted a way to identify themselves as serving alongside a particular branch of service.

Superb image by the way!

Here's a rough OCR (optical character recognition) transcript of a newspaper article about Miss Marzita Savord:

MARZITA SAVARD SEES DELEGATES TO PEACE MEET 1 There Is still one Sandusky Red Cross worker overseas. She Is Miss . Marzita Savord, daughter of Mr. und ! Mrs. A. J. Savord of W. Monroe Bt., 1 who is employed as a departmental secretary In the RedCross offices at Paris. Miss Savord, has been overseas for the past year and a half stationed in France's capitol city has had unusual opportunity to see many interesting sights. In a letter which has Just been received by her parents she says that she. together with the other Red Cross workers In the city, was given a ticket to the palace during the time of the signing of the peace treaty and that she saw all of the famous delegates as they entered and left the building. According to Miss Savord there is still much lied Cross work to be completed and she does not expi that her office will be closed heft tin - lattw WW of aVpwaa);.

Here's a really obscure wartime group..... Emergency Drivers of Chicago. I snagged this shot as a BIN on eBay a few years back for less than $10 and was able to ID the woman as a Miss Florence Spofford. The photo has seen better days, but it's a good shot of an obscure uniform.

chicago032.jpg?w=676

Here's a really obscure wartime group..... Emergency Drivers of Chicago. I snagged this shot as a BIN on eBay a few years back for less than $10 and was able to ID the woman as a Miss Florence Spofford. The photo has seen better days, but it's a good shot of an obscure uniform.

chicago032.jpg?w=676

Obscure doesn't even begin to describe it...

You guys are amazing me with these latest posts. I thought I had a handle on most of the auxiliary units out there. But after recent events, I realize just how little I know about these supporting organizations during the war. Thanks!

- Chuck

Pulling out some random ones from my larger format box. Here's a hard-to-find example of a Pennsylvania Emergency Aid worker complete with the tricorn hat. femalewwi004.jpg?w=676

Obscure doesn't even begin to describe it...

You guys are amazing me with these latest posts. I thought I had a handle on most of the auxiliary units out there. But after recent events, I realize just how little I know about these supporting organizations during the war. Thanks!

- Chuck

Same here! There are some amazing images in this thread!

JAG,

Is this fellow present in your lineup? The reason I ask is because this fellow served in London during the war, and your shot of the "Eagle Hut" was taken at the well known London based YMCA hut.

ymca-dude355.jpg

Thanks Brennan. Can't keep up with your posts, though, since you personally put quite a dent in that part of my collection ?

But I think I have a few more I can contribute to John's excellent thread:

Two gals showing their support for the war effort.

-Chuck

post-518-0-29463200-1450909026.jpeg