101st Vietnam ERDL set

skir

Went to the local Gunshow this weekend and found absolutely nothing. On the way back home stopped at a small roadside flea market and found this set in a rack of hunting clothes. A nice patched ERDL set, shirt is small sz and pants are medium.. I am guessing the color 101 patch is viet made along with the name tapes. Anyway, made the trip to the gunshow worthwhile. Not My cup of tea so will be posting the FS section later on today.

post-10493-0-19977600-1448813331.jpg

post-10493-0-14010400-1448813349.jpg

post-10493-0-59147600-1448813376.jpg

post-10493-0-53136700-1448813395.jpg

post-10493-0-96129800-1448813421.jpg

post-10493-0-91249100-1448813436.jpg

post-10493-0-81169200-1448813449.jpg

The patch looks like a US-made repro type you'd buy in an Army Navy store (fully embroidered, merrowed edge, filled in area between tab and patch).

No, actually is a TMN2 type with black backing rather than OD, have seen this type before. Look closely, it is not merrow edge, its cut. Don't take My word, check out Bandos Eagle Patch corner.

Manchu Warrior

I am not sure of the difference between Korean made and Vietnam made so I figured I would show this. This name tape is on a pair of BDU's that was issued to me when I was stationed in the ROK and they look the same. Are they?

post-1412-0-37695000-1448991885.jpg

No, actually is a TMN2 type with black backing rather than OD, have seen this type before. Look closely, it is not merrow edge, its cut. Don't take My word, check out Bandos Eagle Patch corner.

Well, sure enough! Looks better now looking at it in the context of having looked at the one on Triggertime.

Well, sure enough! Looks better now looking at it in the context of having looked at the one on Triggertime.

I agree, the TMN types look funky.

I am not sure of the difference between Korean made and Vietnam made so I figured I would show this. This name tape is on a pair of BDU's that was issued to me when I was stationed in the ROK and they look the same. Are they?

attachicon.gifrok pat 001.JPG

MW,

They look different to Me

MW,

check out pg54 of Shelby Stantons " US Army Uniforms of the Vietnam War" Sgt Rothwell's name tapes look to have been made in the same place as Lyell's (at least to Me)

I have seen nametapes similar to those on more recent BDU's with patches of units stationed in Korea so the style is definitely Korean or perhaps just Asian. From what I understand, there were a lot of Korean tailors that set up shop outside of many of the bases in Vietnam so if there is such thing as a Korean style of embroidered letters vs. Vietnamese, it could easily have been done in Vietnam by a Korean tailor. Theater made in Vietnam does not necessarily mean it was made by someone who was Vietnamese.