82nd Airborne Dog Harness...My Latest Find Cleaning My Store

warpath

I think this is from the 50s.

These vests came out of a large war dog "trunk group" at the Great Western Gun Show roughly 25 years ago. There was a large amount of associated paperwork that dated them to the immediate post war time period...I can't recall the exact dates, but it was plus or minus 1947.

The group was from the estate of a Lieutenant that commanded a dog section (don't recall if this was actually called a section or not).

There were about 8 of these vests, and then a progressively lesser combination of leashes, chain collars, leather collars, muzzles, and other dog related items. Most of the dog items were commercial, rather than Army issue, but clearly that is what the unit used. The group was split up at that Show, and I have no idea where it all is today....though I think I have still one of those same vests somewhere too...plus maybe a photo copy of a few pages of the paperwork, which I just looked for, so that will have to wait until it surfaces again.

I had one of the vests too, but eventually moved it down the road as I try to focus on WWII.

I don't think mine was named. Very neat piece though.

Of course now I have a modern Special Forces dog harness from a former D-force friend that was just too cool to pass on.