I've had this for years so it's about time I found the buttons for it. Trouble is, I don't know what to look for. Also, what collar insignia would it take?

MVC-031S.JPG

MVC-032S.JPG

MVC-033S.JPG

MVC-034S.JPG

Looks like a model 1902 with a modified collar probably around 1907. I would guess the rimless black eagle buttons would have been used on this tunic. As for collar insignia if it had the roll collar it probably would have had four disc, a US and branch on each side. But with this collar most likely just a us on the right and a branch disc on the left. The M-1902 had the pointed cuffs as this one does. I believe the pointed cuffs went out around 1907. Attached is a pic of a 1902 tunic worn by Walter Bragg Smith. He was in the Alabama Natl Guard and went on to serve on the Mex border obtaining the rank of 1st Sgt then on to the 82nd Div in WW1 as a Captain. I guess they wore what ever stripes suited them in the guard. I have seen these tunics with white chevrons, blue chevrons and OD chevrons. He also wore just a crossed rifle with A as a collar insignia which was worn up to around 1904. I am sure there are much more knowledgeable people on this forum that can pin this tunic down.

post-6022-0-82228800-1448602270.jpg

It looks to me like the collar has been rebuilt to make it like the M1911 straight standing style instead of the original standing/falling of the post 1906 pattern. The pockets were originally 'choke bellows' style with gussets on the sides to allow for greater capacity. Actually, the khaki color was obsoleted in 1909 by drab cotton, but I would not be surprised to see NG troops wearing them after the 'final' 1913 wearout date.

The light blue infantry chevrons were dropped by 1905 or earlier, but NG troops may have worn them later also.

G