Couple of LGB Wings

militariacollector

militariacollector

This is the follow-up to my previous post on asking about the wings. I went on Monday and found the command pilot wings and here they are. Sadly, something round has dented the front in some spots but it's fine for what I need them for. There is also no swivel thing to retain the pin.

Picture2248Small.jpg

Picture2250Small.jpg

Picture2251Small.jpg

militariacollector

And as I went to pay, the owner of the store pulled out this so I took it home. I'm assuming they are WWII?

Picture2238Small.jpg

Picture2239Small.jpg

And here's the two comparing the 2.75" to the 3" and the colour difference.

Picture2247Small.jpg

That sux!!! It sure looks like somebody took a BB gun to it. I'd love to castrate the kid who did it! :(

-Ski

ps....Yes, I didn't see the previous post, hehehehe....

BBs? Those aren't BB's, those are bug strikes from flying with the cockpit open!

Very nice wings.

I heard this story many years ago from an old fellow who was a wing collector. He lived next door to a guy who's father had been a WWI pilot. One day the two were talking and the wing collector mentioned his hobby. The other fellow said he still had a couple of this dad's wing in the garage and he could have them. So, he went over and sure enough, over the work bench in a post were two silver Dallas-style wings...with a couple of big old nails driven through the center shield of each of the wings! Totally ruined.

Patrick

IMPERIAL QUEST
BBs? Those aren't BB's, those are bug strikes from flying with the cockpit open!

Very nice wings.

I heard this story many years ago from an old fellow who was a wing collector. He lived next door to a guy who's father had been a WWI pilot. One day the two were talking and the wing collector mentioned his hobby. The other fellow said he still had a couple of this dad's wing in the garage and he could have them. So, he went over and sure enough, over the work bench in a post were two silver Dallas-style wings...with a couple of big old nails driven through the center shield of each of the wings! Totally ruined.

Patrick

Bugs...listen to this guy. :lol: Actually, I like your explanation better than the BB's Patrick. ;)

Why in the name of everything logical wopuld someone drive nails through ANY wing!!!!!?????? :blink:

The story was the old fella just liked to "tack" things up over his workbench. An old horse shoe, some fishing lures, old coins, photos, and his two WWI wings....argh can you imagine.

P

militariacollector

Thanks for the comments guys.

I was trying to figure out what the dents are from and I never even though of BBs. Though I think I'm going to stick with the bug excuse for now :P

• 2 weeks later...

Catching up on posts that happen while I was away...

I do not think anyone answered the WW2 question on the Navy wings... I am of the opinion that tthey are WW2. As a side note the sterling ones do not come up as often as the 1/20 10K GF marked...

As for the CP wing she is a beauty... sad to see the damage... not sure about the BB gun... maybe flak from an 88 ;)

John

militariacollector

Thanks for the reply John. I did notice a lot more 1/20 10K GF marked ones than sterling ones while browsing the web. I like the look of both of them, they'll make a fine addition to my patches. As for the CP wing, it really is a pity that they are damaged, who knows what happened...