SS officer sleeve eagle in vets letter to parents.

blackhawkdown

blackhawkdown

I got this in a large grouping. The eagle was just loose in a box of misc. insignia. There were over 40 letters to his parents and when reading through them, I found where he sent the eagle home. How cool is that!

post-2370-0-13022500-1448510298.jpeg

Kurt Barickman

What a great surprise and worth quite a bit to boot The stars are aligned in your favor!

Congrats and thanks for posting.

Kurt

I imagine SS collectors are drooling over the documentation. I've always loved bullion, unfortunately on the USMC side, very little bullion exists

USCapturephotos

I love this piece! I have a similar group of letters from a 30th Division vet. In two letters he mentions combat w the ss during the Bulge and was sending home mementoes. They include a nice cut ss collar tab and cap eagle. I'll post when I get home.

Paul

blackhawkdown

Here was the entire group. The map of Obersalzburg is neat too. He mentions visiting the eagles nest and the famous elevator in one of the letters.

post-2370-0-92456500-1448602500.jpeg

USCapturephotos

Wow. That is quite a nice group Dan. Thanks for the unit info as well. Do you think he picked up the officers sleeve eagle, SS hat eagle and other items when he was in Berchtesgaden? What other details does he mention about the Eagle's Nest? I ask because I have some bring back items from there and a good buddy of mine collects only GI souvenirs from the Eagle's Nest and Berghof.

Thanks again for sharing.

Paul

blackhawkdown

Yes, it's a tobacco pipe. The guy talked a lot about smoking and asking for more of his favorite Briggs tobacco in his letters to his father.