Pre-1902 Chevrons question

Capt.Confederacy

Capt.Confederacy

I've had in my collection for about 10 years a pair of white chevrons (the rank of private) of the old pre-1902 variety. I've always thought them to be infantry but am not so sure now considering that infantry was represented by blue to about 1904 and then was switched to white. By that time, though the chevron size had been reduced.

If this isn't infantry, does anyone know of any other US service that had these white chevrons? (Note that the construction is the same as other pre-1902 chevrons in my collection.)

You are correct -- white was infantry. Some state militia units seemed to wear light blue though. Light blue went Army wide about 1904 with the new style small points up chevrons. (White trouser stripes were retained.)

I can provide pix if you need them.

G

General Apathy
You are correct -- white was infantry. Some state militia units seemed to wear light blue though. Light blue went Army wide about 1904 with the new style small points up chevrons. (White trouser stripes were retained.)

G

Hi Gil, yes pictures please, the old saying a picture paints a thousand words etc etc.

Cheers ( Lewis )

Capt.Confederacy

G

Okay, thanks.

but am not so sure now considering that infantry was represented by blue to about 1904 and then was switched to white.

The change over in the Regular Army from Blue to White stripes occured in 1884. Regards.

@#$%^&*(! They tell me the memory is the second thing to go when you get old. Grrrr!

OK, here's the pic. (first posting with the new camera.)

Large white chevrons were worn point down until the new regs went into effect in 1903. The full dress coat has gold lace chevrons on a white backgrounf while the 'undress" or field coat has simpler white chevrons.

Small blue chevrons. worn points up were worn briefly before changing back to white about 1904. (For the unitiated, the hashmarks were light blue, but had a white center if the soldier had credit for war sevice.)

If there is any confusion, it may have to do with officers' shoulder strap colors. Those were white until '03 then went to blue afterward and never returned to white.

IMG_0028__Small_.JPG

I've had in my collection for about 10 years a pair of white chevrons (the rank of private) of the old pre-1902 variety. I've always thought them to be infantry but am not so sure now considering that infantry was represented by blue to about 1904 and then was switched to white. By that time, though the chevron size had been reduced.

If this isn't infantry, does anyone know of any other US service that had these white chevrons? (Note that the construction is the same as other pre-1902 chevrons in my collection.)

I think I missed something the first time I read the posting -- did you say a single chevron in white/ That should be for a Lance Corporal of Infantry -- i.e. a candidate for promotion to corporal.

If I am reading you correctly, these would be fairly rare.

G

General Apathy

Hi Gil, thanks for posting the early uniforms, these were never really available in Europe and so didn't become an option for collecting. It's really nice to see the ones you have, as I have always known this to be your area of interest.

Thanks again

Cheers ( Lewis )

Capt.Confederacy
I think I missed something the first time I read the posting -- did you say a single chevron in white/ That should be for a Lance Corporal of Infantry -- i.e. a candidate for promotion to corporal.

If I am reading you correctly, these would be fairly rare.

G

Yes, they're single chevrons in white.

BTW, thanks for posting the pix of the uniform jackets. Those are some ultra nice pieces. (I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the uniforms of that time period.)

Happy to be of assistance.

BTW -- this older stuff is out there, if you look for it. I do recommend becoming familiar with the regs first, before buying. Personally, I prefer Regular Army as opposed to state militia, but to each his own.

G