WWII B-2 Cap

spagg

Could be Spagg...several other forum memebers are up to snuff on their AAF gear. We have talked about these B2s before...there is no proof either way, that I know of, no smoking gun where a guy came out and said "yes, I was cranking these out"..

If your happy with it..wear it display and enjoy it...as is, it is a nice cap for your A-2...

Could be Spagg...several other forum memebers are up to snuff on their AAF gear. We have talked about these B2s before...there is no proof either way, that I know of, no smoking gun where a guy came out and said "yes, I was cranking these out"..

If your happy with it..wear it display and enjoy it...as is, it is a nice cap for your A-2...

You guy's got me thinking, so I went over to eBay, guess what! One just like mine just sold the other day for $248.00 OOOOOOCH if it's bad?

most of the guys I talk to about the SBs all come to the same conclusion,,but folks are still buying them...same as anything else, whether a faked helmet, knife, etc...there are many fish....

I paid 125.00 20 plus years ago for mine...and when I questioned the seller, a well known aviation store in the Movaje desert, I was told he bought an unopened box full of them, all 7 1/4 and believed them to be authentic and the story goes from there....I found it odd that the book Gear Up has the same SB with matching characteristics as mine...then I started looking at all the SBs I came across...some were legit, they were all smaller sizes......and some were off and all were 7 1/4...and if you look at the tag in the book Gear Up it too is off from originals...

most of the guys I talk to about the SBs all come to the same conclusion,,but folks are still buying them...same as anything else, whether a faked helmet, knife, etc...there are many fish....

I paid 125.00 20 plus years ago for mine...and when I questioned the seller, a well known aviation store in the Movaje desert, I was told he bought an unopened box full of them, all 7 1/4 and believed them to be authentic and the story goes from there....I found it odd that the book Gear Up has the same SB with matching characteristics as mine...then I started looking at all the SBs I came across...some were legit, they were all smaller sizes......and some were off and all were 7 1/4...and if you look at the tag in the book Gear Up it too is off from originals...

Phantomfixer, I glad I didn't pay much for the cap, I hate having anything in my collection that has a red flag attached to it. By the way, the tag on this cap is 7 3/8? So was this switched out also? Does not look as though it was. So, the hunt is on for an original one. So, I'm a fish! LOL

Sal

Good attitude! I fear I jumped in a little too soon. It was just after I'd added my first post that I remembered the Shaw-Barton controversy. Still...don't feel too badly about it because it displays well enough...and you're not alone because they've fooled a lot of people over the years and will doubtless continue to do so!

Nice display Spagg...is that a B6 jacket? looks good with the cap...and if you didn't pay too much for the cap...no harm....

The USAAF Type D-1 Sheepskin Jacket is the ground crew and mechanics jacket worn during WWII. Also worn by Flight crews do to the fact that they are lighter then the B6 with zipper pockets. Plenty of photos on the net to prove this point. I placed a Wanted add for a B2 here on the military Forum also. So basically, these just have a red flag attached to them, but no smoking gun as far as who may have produced these cap if they were faked. Any chance of material shortages during the end of the war and using different types of leather? I guess we will never know unless the smoking gun appears. Thanks guys for your help. Happy Thanksgiving to all and Merry Christmas an Happy Holidays! I guess that covers it! LOL

Sal

I never remember which one had the Zippered pocket...I like it...years ago I had a d1...sold it on the VLJ forum awhile ago....and as far as the B2, there is no definitive proof either way...thanks for posting the cap and the jacket