USN deck talker equipment

etienne

Hello gents,
a few months ago, I learned about the AV-475 Blast Helmet, an generally overlooked Navy item often confused with a flight helmet ...
86e95410.jpg
5fb27f10.jpg

Rarely mentioned, the "Deck Talkers" are worthy of interest with their specific equipments, the aforementioned leather helmet and the sound-powered phone device with headset, yet they are key components of the US Navy ships in combat, standing in their battle stations and allowing coordination of operations.

gundir10.jpg
h9678310.jpg
So I tried to gather those specific items, here is the result ...
100_4525.jpg
100_4526.jpg
100_4527.jpg
100_4528.jpg
Thanks, E

Very nice display! I always wanted to do a pt boat crew member but never got around to it.

You need to find a deck jacket for your guy

I have a wwii navy corpsman deck jacket I should make into a display

Thanks everyone for your comments ;)

I'd like to specifically thank Paul aka pararaftanr2 for his useful help in identifying the Blast Helmet ... here is a very interesting link and website in general https://pilotsmanyourplanes.com/Page_148.html

You need to find a deck jacket for your guy

I have a wwii navy corpsman deck jacket I should make into a display

You're right ... I'm looking for an early blue Deck Jacket, not the easier to find but I'm patient ... don't hesitate to show yours, a Corpsman's one B)

Nice display E, all good items. For some reason the blast helmets do not tend to show up in many period photos, I suspect they only added to the discomfort of the helmet and talker sets and ended up left in the locker. Do watch out for the earpieces on your headset though; the rubber cushion on them tends to turn to goo with little or no warning.

RC

Nice display E, all good items. For some reason the blast helmets do not tend to show up in many period photos, I suspect they only added to the discomfort of the helmet and talker sets and ended up left in the locker. Do watch out for the earpieces on your headset though; the rubber cushion on them tends to turn to goo with little or no warning.

RC

Thanks RC ... about the earpieces, I already know that they are prone to deteriorate quickly. I have a USMC contract talker headset and the earpieces are already sticky, so I protect them with a special paper that doesn't allow further deterioration.

E

• 4 weeks later...

Hello gents,

to complete the display, here is a focus on sound-powered devices with headset, used on Navy units decks but also in the field by Marine units.

Here are 3 models I gathered through the years, that I guess were used during ww2 (and many years after for sure) : the traditional and early MI-2045-E, aka "big cans" due to the large size of the earphones, the later MI-2454-B aka "small cans" and a very seldom seen but very specific USMC model, contract NOm-37468 of July 1942.
The Navy models were manufactured by RCA "Radio Corporation of America" and the USMC model by Automatic Electric Company.
I read on this very forum that the male plug, that you can clearly see on the USN models, is specific of the ww2 era, replaced after the war by a female plug, less prone to deformation or breakage. All are sound-powered devices, able to function without any external electrical power source.
Some photos of those strange telephones :
sound-10.jpg
modyle11.jpg
modyle17.jpg
modyle15.jpg
A few details from the technical manual of the US Navy :
sec3pa11.jpg
sec3pa12.jpg
Hope you enjoy ;) ... E

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Old post, but good stuff!

I wish I had a dollar for every time I wore a set!

They just WORK!

You can use an ear piece as a mic if needed too!

Great display! Thanks for your work.

Cheers,

Jerry

Hello gents,
a few months ago, I learned about the AV-475 Blast Helmet, an generally overlooked Navy item often confused with a flight helmet ...

86e95410.jpg
5fb27f10.jpg

Rarely mentioned, the "Deck Talkers" are worthy of interest with their specific equipments, the aforementioned leather helmet and the sound-powered phone device with headset, yet they are key components of the US Navy ships in combat, standing in their battle stations and allowing coordination of operations.

gundir10.jpg
h9678310.jpg
So I tried to gather those specific items, here is the result ...
100_4525.jpg
100_4526.jpg
100_4527.jpg
100_4528.jpg
Thanks, E