Army Greens will soon be history...

Spathologist

1st AAA Group
Hello,

I originally read they were supposed to go to the blue uniform in Oct. 2007. I guess the army is slow even for itself, but blues, I would rather have seen the Army go back to the WWII Ike. It has class, it looked good, and most people liked it. I really not surprised though because they picked a camo uniform, which is visible in the woods. My favorite line from the Army is that the color black does not exist in nature. I personally thought some overpaid clown read the 40-41 air corps studies and decided since slate blue is hard to see from the air, then why not make a camo based on this idea. I hate to say it, but the Marines show more class, not changing their dress uniforms, and going with their digital camo uniform. Just my opinion, and we all have them. Oh by the way if you ever find a slate blue uniform, I'd hang onto it. They did make some of them, but only in small numbers. They would be extremely rare.

Jon

Bingo Jon. Imo, as a long serving member of the military still in with both active and reserve service the WWII pattern Army uniforms were the sharpest. They could have brought back the M-39 4-pocket service jacket, to inlcude the brown leather belt, with the jacket made out of modern material similar to the those made currently for the Marines, but in the period Army color. The Marine Corps were wise to retain the WWII era Alpha Greens. They look sharp and have tradition. Something the other branches have long lost sight of which I cannot make sense of. The word hideous comes to mind.

Agree that the Ike was super sharp. Problem is that some duds who get out of shape would look laughable wearing it. The Ike does not hide a gut, or fat butt very well. On the other hand bringing the Ike back would make it another reason for troops to stay in shape.

Agree that the Ike was super sharp. Problem is that some duds who get out of shape would look laughable wearing it. The Ike does not hide a gut, or fat butt very well. On the other hand bringing the Ike back would make it another reason for troops to stay in shape.

You hit the nail right on the head.

-Ski

I think the beret will only be authorized for E-4 and below to wear with the blues. NCOs and others will wear the bus driver cap. I didnt think that the jump boots would be authorized. I personally thought the Ike should have made a comeback but then the army would have to enforce the weight standards again. There is also rumor about the Multicam coming online next year. The ACUs are pretty shoddy and definitely are not comfortable. The only blending in they provide is if you are standing in front of an ACU patterned sheet.

DwightPruitt

The problem with the AG-44 uniform wasn't the cut or the style, but rather that for the last 20 or so odd years, it was made from increasingly poorer materials. The polyester content kept going up, and as it did, the coat hung on the soldier like a sack. The green shirt was bad, I always preferred the tan poplin shirt.

My main gripe about the AG-44 uniform was the god-awful garrison cap. Inflexible, looking like someone plopped a green envelope on the soldier's head, it epitomized ugly. The Army should have produced the WWII style in AG-44. Now we have berets...and another can of worms. ;)

The problem with the AG-44 uniform wasn't the cut or the style, but rather that for the last 20 or so odd years, it was made from increasingly poorer materials. The polyester content kept going up, and as it did, the coat hung on the soldier like a sack. The green shirt was bad, I always preferred the tan poplin shirt.

You're absolutely right: the green Class A uniform and tan shirt weren't bad. Not as nice as the WWII uniform, but still not bad. I was lucky enough when I first got commissioned in 1988 to find a new old stock 100% wool uniform in a military tailor shop. (My dress blues are dated 1940!) But the same Class A made out of polyester and worn with the 1970's lime green disco shirt looks terrible.

Bill

Yes, get rid of that stupid beret! I hate the sloppy looks of that thing. The current ACU looks like a gunny sack. If we had to wear this stuff when I joined up, I never would have. The service cap wasn't much better, never would stay on. Bring back the OD uniform and khakis.

Am I dating myself?

SilverbackMP

Why Army? Why? Why must you dress your Soldiers this way? I will not own this uniform until the last possible minute. Please Army--Just keep the greens (maybe get rid of the split tail and add a belt if you want to change something). My vote would be for pink and greens made to WWII exact specifications (to include brown leather shoes--not black pastic).

Can we also get rid of this Velcro? It was the stupidest idea ever invented. Why should I have to buy new uniforms or spend $30 on each uniform every four months resewing this crap? Get rid of this damn beret as well. I'm in Korea for goodness sakes and AR prevents me from using an umbrella and tradition prevents me from using a hood on wet weather gear. The beret either boils the brain in the Summer (its wool ya know) and soaks up water like a sponge during monsoon. If I had a patrol cap, the sun would be blocked from my face, water would be deflected, and I could actually PMCS a vehicle without worrying about getting grease on it.

Please Army, remove those who smoke crack (or have never left a desk) from your aquisition corps.

Please Army, remove those who smoke crack (or have never left a desk) from your aquisition corps.

You know they did a very scientific survey, whereby a roving group of Lt. Cols would visit bases, walk up to Privates, hold up a photo of the proposed new uniforms and ask, "Private, don't you think this looks great?"

I'm in Korea for goodness sakes and AR prevents me from using an umbrella and tradition prevents me from using a hood on wet weather gear.

Hehehehe.... The USAF allows us to use one..... ;)

-Ski

Spathologist

Umbrellas are effeminate. Maybe I've done too much time in tropical areas, but getting wet has always been pretty far down my list of things to worry about...

Umbrellas are effeminate. Maybe I've done too much time in tropical areas, but getting wet has always been pretty far down my list of things to worry about...

In the field I would agree with you.

But it never made sense to me that when you were in a dress uniform and out with a group of civilians why you had to be the only person that was standing in the rain getting wet. This was especially true for soldiers with headquarters, command or Pentagon assignments who spent their full tour in Class A or Class B uniforms.

You know they did a very scientific survey, whereby a roving group of Lt. Cols would visit bases, walk up to Privates, hold up a photo of the proposed new uniforms and ask, "Private, don't you think this looks great?"

Somewhere I was reading about the "survey" that they did with the soldiers. It was a bit transparent the way it was worded, implying that in 150 focus groups that soldiers around the world had given their approval to the abominations. It featured wonderfully worded statements like "Soldiers overwhelming stated they wanted to retain their unit identification and heritage." Pentagon double speak for we are going to move the SSI off the shoulder and make it an enamal badge that you wear on your dark blue jacket or bright white shirt.

I really hope there is a wave of protest over this, if not from the currently serving troops, but also from vets. These uniforms are an embrassment.

On a related topic, I realized that something was familiar about the color and layout of the USAF "Doolittle" heritage uniform, the one based on an early WWII four pocket blouse. I know the color shades are different, but to me it evokes the RAF uniform of the time rather than the USAAF. Blue, four pockets, with a waist belt? That would be the Brits, not us!

I'm so glad I'll be getting out of the army, the uniforms are way out of control. I've been active duty for almost 6 years and I'm on my 3rd different style combat uniform.

On a related topic, I realized that something was familiar about the color and layout of the USAF "Doolittle" heritage uniform, the one based on an early WWII four pocket blouse. I know the color shades are different, but to me it evokes the RAF uniform of the time rather than the USAAF. Blue, four pockets, with a waist belt? That would be the Brits, not us!

Funny you should say that. Could you imagine if officers still wore McPeak's cuff stripes? Then we would really look like the RAF, hehehhe....

-Ski

Personally, I think the dress blue's looked real sharp when it was worn. Especially, when the soldier took pride in wearing. I know I did. However, I think some of the items DA is adding to it and taking away, makes it look like a Bell-hop.

Not, sure if this is true. but a co-worker of mine, an ex-Marine (ETS'd last yr) said he heard while he was in that the USMC has been lobbying at DOD level etc to get all the branches to look the same in uniform. IOW, just like the USMC. It makes you think, IE: USMC came out with their digital battle uniform and shortly after that the other branches followed suit. Now, DA is trying to make the new ASU more like the USMC then the Army.

Now as far as going through changes with the uniforms the army done. From 75 when I joined and 96 when I retired I went through 4 types of fatigues (cotton, wash and wear, temperate BDU and later the hot weather BDU) and dress it has been 4 as well (kakis, summer and winter AG with brown shirt, later with the blue shirt).

Ed

SilverbackMP

Have you ever done it with wool rag on your head? I'm not talking about deployments or war zones--just day to day living. I don't much care for ubrellas either (although it seems every Korean carries one--they think they will melt like the witch on the Wizard of Oz if they get wet). I want a uniform that will dry quickly if I get wet--ie rip stop BDU (wet weather gear gets your just as wet through perspiration) and a cover that keeps the rain out my eyes.

Lets face it guys, if its a functional headgear or uniform the army is going to find a way to screw it up and take it away. From the wool sock that we all have to wear to the lack of an umbrella. Umbrella...hmmmm.....didn't all of us get issued a trench coat? hahahahaaaa

Was there actually a push for this change from the troops or did this idea come from somebody in the Pentagon? I agree that the Army dress blues look sharp the way they are now and I also like the dress greens, although I also agree with some comments that if a change was needed it would have been better to go back to the Ike jacket or pinks and greens or some such thing. Combining elements of blues and greens is not going to create one better uniform. I could not put my finger on what the new uniform reminded me of until one earlier poster compared it to a military school cadet uniform. Why not add a shoulder cord or aguilette in the color or colors of each soldier's branch of service? That would complete the picture.

Also, isn't fostering pride in a soldier's unit affiliation one of the Army's goals? If so, why get rid of the current unit SSI? Isn't that what the Marine Corps did after World War II?

Was there actually a push for this change from the troops or did this idea come from somebody in the Pentagon? I agree that the Army dress blues look sharp the way they are now and I also like the dress greens, although I also agree with some comments that if a change was needed it would have been better to go back to the Ike jacket or pinks and greens or some such thing. Combining elements of blues and greens is not going to create one better uniform. I could not put my finger on what the new uniform reminded me of until one earlier poster compared it to a military school cadet uniform. Why not add a shoulder cord or aguilette in the color or colors of each soldier's branch of service? That would complete the picture.

Also, isn't fostering pride in a soldier's unit affiliation one of the Army's goals? If so, why get rid of the current unit SSI? Isn't that what the Marine Corps did after World War II?

Like everything else, the push for change comes from leadership. I have seen this time and time again in my nearly 20 years in the USAF. Each commander wants to leave some sort of legacy, and the uniform is the way many like to do it. Pure and simple. I don't know for a fact, but what do you wanna bet that the soldiers wanted to keep the combat patch and the Army decided to make it yet another badge to add weight to the uniform?

-Ski

• 1 month later...
So much for "Army Strong" when you are ordered to wear a canteen and a reflective belt to walk across the parking lot.... what a bunch of wimps. disgust.gif

IN A COMBAT ZONE, no less!!!

Wiley

[quote name='gwb123' date='Aug 22 2008, 10:21 PM' post='18542

The RAF wears a lighter shade of blue uniform than the new proposed USAF class A.

If McPeek would have just left the USAF class A alone, they wouldn't be having this problem now of trying to replace his "Airline pilots", uniform. The adoption of the shiney badges and reconfigured stripes were a plus, but that God-awfull ugly 3 button coat looks like crap! Those "heritage", uniform proposals are just about as bad as the current uniform IMHO.

Lots of guys like Ike jackets. Yep, they looked cool on young slender guys, but they went away because many troops are early middle-aged lifers who no longer look like lean-mean-fighting-machines. The longer blouse or service coat looks better on just about everybody.

As far as wearing a class A in the rain, that's what they used to make rain coats and rain cover for the service cap for. Too bad Army & Air Force got rid of most of the service caps, now the troops can get wet from wearing a beret or a P--- cutter... both totally usless pieces of head gear.

Off the soap box for now.... carry on! :rolleyes: