interesting WWI-WWII ID bracelet.

pfrost

This ID bracelet is made out of a small (~2inch) WWI style wing. This wing is actually made just like the larger version, with 3 thin layers stacked on top of each other forming the shoulder part of the wing. The front has been smoothed down and says "US CAV RES" and the back has the guys name, rank and serial number on it, nicely engraved.

I have started doing some initial research on this fellow, but haven't found much. I am not even sure if this is aviation related, or if he simply just liked the pattern of the wings.

Jump in with opinions and ideas if you have any.

Patrick

post-1519-1219161812.jpg

post-1519-1219161831.jpg

post-1519-1219161873.jpg

Patrick, that is a nice looking bracelet and a good research project. Here is an interesting one. The wing is marked Firmin and is the same pattern as the wing mounted on the cuff-type bracelet. I've seen a few of this style, but not too many of them. I am fairly certain that it was made on one of the bases in the sheet metal shop as the cuff material is .032" aircraft aluminum and the wing is held in place with a single, large (undimpled) aluminum rivet. Alas, is is not marked or engraved with any name or S/N. Looks like a "G" job to me.

The chain-style wing bracelets have intrigued me for some time as to whether they were manufactured as inventory items or made to order. The construction similarities between them (often the same chain styles) suggest they may have been made in quantities, but the variation in the wings themselves used to make the bracelets suggest something else. Anyway, here is a picture:

post-3515-1219374840.jpg

Patrick, that is a nice looking bracelet and a good research project. Here is an interesting one. The wing is marked Firmin and is the same pattern as the wing mounted on the cuff-type bracelet. I've seen a few of this style, but not too many of them. I am fairly certain that it was made on one of the bases in the sheet metal shop as the cuff material is .032" aircraft aluminum and the wing is held in place with a single, large (undimpled) aluminum rivet. Alas, is is not marked or engraved with any name or S/N. Looks like a "G" job to me.

The chain-style wing bracelets have intrigued me for some time as to whether they were manufactured as inventory items or made to order. The construction similarities between them (often the same chain styles) suggest they may have been made in quantities, but the variation in the wings themselves used to make the bracelets suggest something else. Anyway, here is a picture:

Just a guess...

The USAF wings attached to the bracelet appear to be genuine issue, very clean casting, thick, crisp etc... probably VN-era. (I wore a pair of those for awhile).

The bracelet does look like AFBase machine shop manufacture, probably for a sweetheart or a Mom? I cannot imagine anyone actually working on aircraft wearing one of them - dangerous. Maybe it was for use with civvies?

The wings sitting out in front by itself are either really really worn down, or are in-theatre made, or poor molding/casting, or fake... although they are cast thick. Hard to imagine a set getting THAT "worn down" though... usually you put it on and leave it.

As for the chain style example, agree that too strikes me as having been privately made... the lettering looks to be engraved, not stamped, which suggests custom work, not mass production.