Staples in patch, remove or leave in.

mslurvey

Would like opinions on if I should leave the two staples in the 45th Division patch as they match the staple holes in the oilcloth identification tag or remove them.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mason

post-144745-0-12761300-1448334604.jpg

Personally, the fact that they have been I there that long to be a direct match with the tag and with a chance at damaging the patch, I would leave them in.

If the patch was actually attached to the tag or the original shoe lace, then I would leave it alone. Here? Pull it. As mentioned above, it will simply rust.

-Ski

BILL THE PATCH

Listen I removed tons of staples from patches over the years, they leave an I indentation from staple. If its a fully emb cloth patch, not felt or wool( never tried it on those patches) soak in water overnight let dry. staple mark should be gone. Water will not damage patch. I've done this plenty of times.

Great idea from Bill the Patch...sounds like good advice.The staple indents really don't phase me.

My main concern. ..what will the staple collectors think? :)

Looks like a bit of rust on tbe staple face already.

Have several with staple marks or paper clip marks from being sent home in letters.

Left them as is over the years.The next owner can decide what's best :D

The staples have been on there for 70+ years. When are they going to start rusting?

Why risk a patch?

I have bought way too many vintage military items that had permament rust stains from staples, metal clothes hangers, safety pins and other known carriers of rust. Something can be stored in optimal climate conditions and not rust, but move it say, to a humid environment and the rust will prove it never sleeps.

I have a nice thread on how to remove rust on the forum from patches.

The collections of great patches that were stored in basements without dehumidifier are the ones that we all fear.

Here is the link http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/195484-rust-stains-on-a-patch/?hl=rust

Thanks for posting that: your first photo is the poster boy for staple removal:

patch.jpg

Would like opinions on if I should leave the two staples in the 45th Division patch as they match the staple holes in the oilcloth identification tag or remove them.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mason

Mason

on another note you could remove them and replace them on the tag if you wanted to keep the staples.

I always remove stables from documents before archiving them, to avoid the rust. I use a pair of needle nose jeweler pliers to life the ends up and then pull it straight off. On 70+ year old documents, having removed hundreds of staples, I've had very little collateral damage to the corners of the paper. I imagine it would be even easier on patches

I say document with photos, and get rid of the staple

Gentlemen

Thanks for all the advice and I am going to remove the staples from the patch so it will last the next 70 years.

Mason

Suggest replacing staple with a stainless steel one. I library/archive might be able to spot you a few.

"Stainless steel" can still rust. Here's something from staple maker's website.

"Typically stainless steel staples are made of #304, or in special cases #316, stainless steel wire. They are corrosion-resistant for extended periods of time, but not completely rust-proof in all circumstances as there is a small percentage of iron in the steel wire alloy. Monel wire staples are indefinitely rust-proof as there is a high nickel content in the wire. They also are immune to galvanic action which can cause corrosion when stainless steel staples are in contact with other metals, such as screening"

Patchcollector

If the patch was actually attached to the tag or the original shoe lace, then I would leave it alone. Here? Pull it. As mentioned above, it will simply rust.

-Ski

I agree with Teamski;if the patch was still attached to the tag,I would probably leave it as is,but since it is now separated I would probably pull them.You have already taken photos of the item with the staples in it,my suggestion is to keep a hardcopy image of it with the patch and tag.

The staples have been on there for 70+ years. When are they going to start rusting?

Just a thought.There may already be rust marks behind the staples that cannot be seen.