Ka-Bar ID-ed to a Marine or Sailor?

poch

I bought this Ka-Bar. It is marked Ka-Bar on the left ricasso with no USMC or USN mark on the right ricasso. The scabbard is personalized and on the back is the ink stamp with name Russell Myers. Can you help me to find out info about the owner?

Thanks a lot.

post-10064-0-20296000-1448312843.jpg

There was a Pfc Russell Myers who was Died Of Wounds on Guam. 14th Defense Battalion, 3rd Amphibious Corps, USMC Without further information cannot be by any means sure that this was the right man.

The swastika looking symbol at the bottom was probably not German inspired as it is backwards. The mark is more likely a Native American type mark which was often shaped as the one on the scabbard.

"The origin of the Swastika symbol derives from the ancient Mississippian culture of the Mound Builders of North America and were major elements in the Southeastern Ceremonial Complex of American prehistory (S.E.C.C.). Some of the Native Indian tribes still retain some elements of the Mississippi culture and the symbolism of the broken cross symbol - that is commonly referred to as a Swastika."

Gary,

thanks for information. At first I thought that the owner used the swastika as a symbol of luck as it use in India and SE Asia. I didn´t know that this symbol was also used by Native Americans.

Gary: I metal detected a 1920 or earlier BoyScout medallion a few years ago. One side had a BoyScout sitting on a horse,the other had a swasticas with good luck symbols inside each of the four spaces of the swasticas. Like a four leaf clover,wish bone and two more I don't recall now. It was about the size of a silver dollar and bronze. Thought that was odd!

Found one on eBay. Item number 121819321306