Strange P1912 usmc haversack

USMCman01

This recently came to the doorstep and I thought the color was strange. Its edging is an orange color and its overall color is a pea green, just like early riveted m1941 packs. My thinking is that this is a very late production piece. It's marked to the second marine division. What are your thoughts?

post-154969-0-20202400-1448235894.png

What you have there is shown below on the left, next to our familiar old "mustard-O.D." 782 Pack on the right.

These were also produced in a dark forest green shade, also with tan edge binding. All the stampings I've seen thus

far on these were pre- or early War.

post-3226-0-39475200-1448247678.jpeg

OOPS, I guess you were posting at the same time I was. You're right, these are late-production '12s.

Here is the stamping in the Meatcan Pouch on the left Pack rig: it reads

"QUARTERMASTERS DEPT.

U.S. MARINE CORPS

1941 - 1942"

post-3226-0-29461300-1448248194.jpg

I guess it all kind of adds up. The orange edging seen on early war M1941's, marked to the second marine division, and a meatcan pouch with early depot markings. Did you find the pack on the left together. And, where in the world did you find that meatcan pouch?

I bought the Pouch separately on the green one; the "mustard" one had a matching Pouch, but the stamp was barely legible so I snagged a couple of Q.M.-stamped ones (for obvious reasons)

from Ebay some years ago.

Here is the stamp on the right-hand Pack:

"DQP., 1940-41"

post-3226-0-53723600-1448248746.jpg

I am envious. They are very nice ones. I do have a few questions. What are the lines, that appear on many depot manufactured items. Are they for stitching and attaching? Also, what is the material that holds the square rings on the back. I have 2 salty examples that have different thicknesses and they have always puzzled me. Both are definite depot made (green thread, issued to a marine, etc) but have faded extensively from the jungles of Guadalcanal.

post-154969-0-13840700-1448249643.png

Those dark lines are just the way a bolt of canvas came from the textilery on the finished edge- you can see them occasionally on Shelter Halves, Packs and other bigger canvas items.

As to the square rings, do you mean the ones on the Pouch? That is a lighter weight version of the 5/8" webbing used to make closure straps and other such things.

I'd plumb forgotten about the difference between that stuff and the "normal" strap material; I've seen other Marine items which utilized softer-than-normal

finishing material as well. Below, another example on the knife pouch of a prototype Parachutist Jump Smock. This stuff is way

softer than it looks in the pic:

post-3226-0-17152900-1448252219.jpg

That material on yours is the same "tape" stripping used for the closure straps on the Shovel Covers...cool!

Mine is a little heavier gauge, but not by much...

post-3226-0-98581000-1448252580.jpg

I've seen your collection enough (not complaining though) to know you have 2 depot made shovel covers with different weight straps to retain the shovel. Your usmc marked in bold letters across the front has the light weight canvas. I believe you concluded that these were earlier.

Ha...we posted all over each other again :lol:

The Cover in the pic isn't the outside-stamped one; this one is like new.

That's definitely it. I think the least we could say is that it is earlier. Then again, the depot could have been using up old stocks.

That's definitely it. I think the least we could say is that it is earlier. Then again, the depot could have been using up old stocks.

I sure wish the old records on M.C. stuff weren't so hard (often impossible) to dig up. Sure are a ton of unanswered questions such as these we've discussed!

Grunt Gear states that most of the production records were ditched when the depot changed locations. Or they're in someone's attic...

Yeah, I remember Jim Moran's book saying something along that line as well, right at the outset.

For some reason, I kind of doubt that they'd have discussed amongst themselves "Hey, we'd better preserve these records...this is scarce Marine Corps Q.M. stuff!!!!"

Doug Bailey has a requisition letter written by a Marine commander during the War asking for M-2 Ammo Vests made in 'flage material. A top-notch picker I knew

in Texas actually found one, but he had sold it long before I rolled around.

Even the purple dye used one the DQP stamps, it had to be vegetable oil.

I definitely learned a few things and we raised some good points.

A camouflage M2 vest!?!?!?!?! That's got to be one funky lookin' piece of gear. I could only imagine where it is now. I believed they talked about making camouflaged leggings, but it never went through.