Paper documents soaked by oil, recommendations?

MattS

I picked up a grouping from a US Army vet where several of the documents in the bottom of the box soaked up some penetrating oil (appropriately enough) that had leaked from a bottle. One document is completely oiled. How should I preserve this? I have it sitting on paper towels as it leaves a stain on whatever it touches. Thanks!

post-32676-0-93639000-1448212091.jpg

You can always scan it and remove the stains in photoshop. Let it sit dry out for some days. Just use rubbing alcohol to clean the glass on the scanner afterwards.

It'll eventually dry out a good bit, buy it'll take a while. I soaked up some of the oil that the b25 I ride in leaked back in 07, and its real dry now!

A couple of places online suggest using a powder such as cornstarch or cornmeal to soak up the oil much as you would use cat litter to soak up still oil on your driveway. In fact, I would actually give cat litter a try (before the cat uses it)

Agree with Bob on the litter...on both accounts :D

Actually had been told to place the scoobable type in a 9x13 type cake or storage container lay the item on a layer

of litter then add more over the top.Let it set for a couple of days.Have seen both the regular litter and the litter made from corn Cobb used.The finer the material the better.Cheaper brands have a lot of dust.Corn cobb media is also used by those who reload and tumble cases.Its available.