Ms22001 microphone

tknowles

In looking at my mask the microphone cavity does not appear large enough for the microphone you show. I believe it is set up for the anb mc1 having a smaller round receptacle. Forgive my ignorance, first foray into jet age helmets. The mask has the earlier green anodized oxygen socket on the hose too. I think this mask probably had the early microphone is there a way to be sure?

Also, was there a post ww2 anbmc1 microphone produced with a longer cord for the p helmets?

Thanks

northcoastaero

I believe the M-32 series microphone elements were introduced during the mid 1950s for the MS-22001 and MBU-3/P. The plug at the end of the cable would be a PL-291 and later the PJ-292. Both types had two pins. There was also a later cloth covered Y cable for the mask for use with the P-4B and HGU-2/P helmets. During WWII, the USN/USMC used an ANB-M-C1 style microphone element with a short cable and PL-291 two pin connector on their A-14 masks.

Concur with Northcoastaero. Early 1950s the USAF was using the AN/AIC-8 radio system. The AN-AIC-10 replaced the AN/AIC-8 and the switch over to the M-32 microphone from the AN-B-C1.

If the P-3 has the U-75 three prong helmet lead then the mask would just plug into the helmet

Another possibility is I think called the HS-33A headset which could have a red PL-354 or a black PL-54 single prong plug. If the helmet has the single prong plug, the mask would have a lead to the helmet and a two prong plug that went down the mask and plugged into the aircraft. You need three prongs to the A/C two small for the mic, bigger one for the headset...

If the headset was upgrade to the H-75 with the black earcups, that's AN/AIC-10.