Another Iron Cross

doyler

I like his personal comment on this one

I agree.I believe his wife wrote it as she was putting this together and documented the items sent.To me this makes the comment even more intresting...made me laugh first time I read it.

Ron, I just got home from a 3 day trip to K.C. for my brothers surgery, and saw your scrapbook. What an outstanding piece of history. I REALLY love all the TR stuff, photos, and the comments. This has got to be one of the coolest scrapbooks I have seen in a long time and it really brings the war alive for me. Glad it got into your hands, and not someone who will tear it apart to piece it out! Thanks again for taking the time to take all the photos and share this with us!

Devin

WOW Ron I must have missed this when you posted it.

super set of items that truly have the history still attached.

I love stuff like this.

-Brian

Kurt Barickman

Really cool scrapbook and the souvenirs and where the vet picked them up is even better.

Congrats Ron,

Kurt

Great scrap book...the dilemma is, leave the trophies taped, where the tape is bound to do damage, or photo document and remove

Great scrap book...the dilemma is, leave the trophies taped, where the tape is bound to do damage, or photo document and remove

I'd say it's probably done all the damage it is going to do?

not sure what I'd do in this case. I know I'd be dang tempted to document it and remove it.

At the same time it's really nice that it's all together... and once taken apart, can't really be put back together.

-Brian

• 3 weeks later...
Cap Camouflage Pattern I

What's up with the tank destruction award? The tank is clearly a panzer 3/4 style but it has 8 road wheels like on the panzer 4 and 3 return rollers like on the panzer 3. The panzer 4 has 4nreturn rollers and the panzer 3 has 6 road wheels, so this badge is incorrect for either.

Makes me wonder why a German badge messed up a German tank.

Ive always wondered why they use a german tank for this award, seeing the wearer wouldnt have destroyed a german tank, maybe just a loose artists interpretation of a generic "enemy tank"?....great stuff posted here by the way!!!....very cool items....mike

What's up with the tank destruction award? The tank is clearly a panzer 3/4 style but it has 8 road wheels like on the panzer 4 and 3 return rollers like on the panzer 3. The panzer 4 has 4nreturn rollers and the panzer 3 has 6 road wheels, so this badge is incorrect for either.

Makes me wonder why a German badge messed up a German tank.

Im not a nazi armor expert but this is likely a interpretation of the Pz kpfw III Ausf B or C or D model (Sd Kfz 141) There were 14 or so variations in the initiall early models ranging from design improvements or up grades for suspension,armor thickness,fording kits,turret,cannon,machine guns, body design etc.There even was a study to see if the turret from a Pz kpfw IV turret would fit on the existing Pz kpfw super structure(1942).

THe Ausf B model was an improved design over the Ausf A model with suspension redesign.The A model had 5 road wheels with coils spring and 2 return rollers.The B model went to 8 road wheels divided into pairs per side with leaf springs and increasing the roller wheels to 3.Further design inprovements were a taller cupola on the turret,redesign of the rear deck and engine louvers.The 8/3 wheel roller design appears to remain the same through model C and model D (last with 15 mm armor) with a few changes until further improvements came with the Pz kpfw III Ausf E model where the wheels were chaged to 6 wheels on torsion bars.The torsion bars allowed for the increase in weight.The E model/series was the first extended production model due to the improved and succesful suspension system and used throught the rest of the series.Further changes would be armor cannon up grades etc.To further the confusion the Sturmgeschutz would also use the super structure of the E model kpfw III,

If I understand it correctly there were 38 types of this tank and at wars end a varient was converted to a ammunition carrier

The Tank Destruction strip was approved/established by Hitler 9 March of 1942 but could be awarded going back to June of 1941 so it seems plausible to me that they used one of the Models of the Type III as the basis for the badge design.

Thanks

Pretty cool RD.

I looked for your man in the Silver Star recipient volumes from WW2 but no dice. Must have been downgraded then, as you suspected.

Thank you sir!!