pre & WWII Navy cap tally - Real or what?

In looking for an example of a CS...which the "C" may technically be Collier...I found another one of these I forgot about...a USAS...note the photo is originally labeled Auxiliary Ship, but archived as a USS...am going to have do some more digging...I think I remember seeing a USAS cap tally...but I can't fully remember nor know if I have a picture of it.

h92198.jpg

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bull Ships section?

I have a Navy Good Conduct to a sailor that served aboard USS Bullwheel . However, I don't believe they had a cap tally. :D

Wharf

In Peace and War, US Merchant Marine. WARNING: Dangerous Cargo. No Visitors, No Smoking, No Open Lights.

Plus 20% Buyers premium. ..

Any links to the auction to see pictures?

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

Actively collecting:

13th USAAF uniforms and groups/medal groups!

307th BG, 5th BG, 11th BG, 42nd BG

Also looking for:

WWII Far East Air Force uniforms/groups!

Any Pacific Army Air Force Groups to 5th, 7th, 10th, 14th, 20th AAF

Collecting CBI and ATC Pacific Army Air Force groups

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifmsg-24355-0-77312200-1449362814.gif

USMF's custom photo resize tool:http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/229816-custom-resize-tool-exclusively-for-the-usmf/

• 3 months later...

If it is of any help..

The Revenue Cutter Service uniform regs of 1891 note the cap tally was USRS and the name of the cutter in 1/2' block letters.

The early 1900 RCS uniform regs called for USS and the name of the cutter. ( Probably a carry over from SpanAm war.)

A correction later in the summer of 1900 returned to USRS and the name of the cutter.

The 1908 RCS uniform regs called for USRC and the name of the cutter.

The CG historians office list of cutters does not contain the WYANDOTTE or PASSAIC.

• 4 years later...

Interesting research everyone. 
I picked up a wooden block (for block and tackle) stamped "USRS" last year. Would like to think it's from the Revenue Cutter Service. Other option would be "US Receiving Ship" but "US Receiving Ship" isn't really an organization, like the Revenue Cutter Service was, hence less chance for equipment from a Receiving Ship to be marked USRS?

donation2013.gifdonation2015.gif

Looking for: Washington and Oregon Coast Artillery items

Any items related to the Harbor Defenses of the Columbia River and the Harbor Defenses of Puget Sound, 1860s-WWII. This includes items from Fort Stevens, OR; Ft Canby, WA; Ft Columbia, WA; Ft Worden, WA; Ft Casey, WA; Ft Flagler, WA; Ft Ward, WA; Ft Whitman, WA; Camp Hayden, WA; and the following units that served at these forts:
Columbia River: 33rd, 34th, 93rd, and 160th Companies, CAC; and 18th and 249th Coast Artillery regiments
Puget Sound: 26th, 30th, 62nd, 63rd, 71st, 85th, 92nd, 94th, 106th, 108th, 126th, 149th, and 150th Companies, CAC; and 14th and 248th Coast Artillery regiments

Coast Defense Study Group member & site representative for the Columbia River forts

ASMIC member

In the case of the two USRS marked tallies in this post, they both appear to stand for "US Receiving Ship."

The USS Wyandotte was a Civil War era monitor that was used as a Receiving Ship from 1879-1885. 
The USS Passaic was a Civil War era monitor used as a Receiving Ship from 1878-1882. 
Both vessels were Receiving Ships in Washington, D.C.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Wyandotte_(1864)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Passaic_(1862)

Any items related to the Harbor Defenses of the Columbia River and the Harbor Defenses of Puget Sound, 1860s-WWII. This includes items from Fort Stevens, OR; Ft Canby, WA; Ft Columbia, WA; Ft Worden, WA; Ft Casey, WA; Ft Flagler, WA; Ft Ward, WA; Ft Whitman, WA; Camp Hayden, WA; and the following units that served at these forts:
Columbia River: 33rd, 34th, 93rd, and 160th Companies, CAC; and 18th and 249th Coast Artillery regiments
Puget Sound: 26th, 30th, 62nd, 63rd, 71st, 85th, 92nd, 94th, 106th, 108th, 126th, 149th, and 150th Companies, CAC; and 14th and 248th Coast Artillery regiments

Coast Defense Study Group member & site representative for the Columbia River forts

ASMIC member

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2020 at 2:16 AM, agate hunter said:

Interesting research everyone. 
I picked up a wooden block (for block and tackle) stamped "USRS" last year. Would like to think it's from the Revenue Cutter Service. Other option would be "US Receiving Ship" but "US Receiving Ship" isn't really an organization, like the Revenue Cutter Service was, hence less chance for equipment from a Receiving Ship to be marked USRS?

Here is the block I mentioned. 

IMG_5381.JPG.78bc3d081e1c9a1216e50d3823f1a805.JPG

IMG_5383.JPG.d08b4a9403c7ee8ab817e9a5a6f9c965.JPG

ASMIC member