Hawaiian Department

kiaiokalewa

Looks almost like a acorn centered on the shield.

Elsewhere in the SSI section of the Forum is a thread on fantasy patches made up for the movies. This DI is another example of Hollywood's artistic license. I must admit, however, that it's a nicely designed piece!

Bob Capistrano

Johan Willaert
One of the forum members inquired about a mannequin display that he had put together dated specifically to Dec. 7, 1941. It was nicely put together and I had answered his question about the insignia

That would have been me....

Here's a (pre-digital) picture of that set-up... The DI on the hat is that of the 21IR...

post-92-1322556568.jpg

Johan Willaert

On the pictures of the 1940 yearbook, the 27th IR DI on the hats faces left (as you look at it), but I've seen them facing both ways...

Why the difference? And are only those facing left WW2?

....On the pictures of the 1940 yearbook, the 27th IR DI on the hats faces left (as you look at it), but I've seen them facing both ways...Why the difference? And are only those facing left WW2?

This probably won’t be the last word on your left vs. right facing Wolfhounds question, Johan, but here’s one answer (source ASMIC Infantry DI catalog ed. Jan. 1986):

The DI with the left facing wolf's head (27B) was approved May 1, 1931, samples approved Jun. 16, 1931.

The DI with the right facing wolf's head (27A) was authorized Dec. 7, 1966, samples approved Apr. 24, 1967.

The catalog also illustrates a multitude of unapproved 27th Infantry DIs with wolf heads facing either direction, all of which are attributed to manufacture in Japan, Korea, or Vietnam.

Capistrano’s highly reliable catalog of WWII Infantry DIs shows one variant only: The wolf's head facing left.

The officer on the left (a colonel) is wearing a right facing wolf’s head DI on his right shoulder loop. The captain he is addressing is wearing the left facing variant on his left shoulder loop.

Ah-ha! The need for opposite facing wolf heads is now perfectly obvious: When worn on the shoulder loops in opposing pairs, the wolfs always face the wearer's front (unless the wearer puts them on facing his back).

This picture was taken at Schofield Barracks ca. 1955 (one of a large group of pictures from an awards ceremony, link here). On the evidence of just one picture, we can only speculate as to the origin of this particular (as yet unauthorized) right facing DI: Made in Japan?

post-1963-1322605103.jpg

• 6 years later...

Major General Charles Thomas Menoher. According to the link below, he was commander of the 24th Infantry "Hawaiian" Division in the mid-1920's, but isn't he wearing the SSI for the Hawaiian Department? The distinction between those two always confuses me.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/13388719/charles-thomas-menoher

post-1761-0-95623600-1533753391_thumb.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Aloha Sean,

MG Menoher first commanded the Hawaiian Division in 1922, and then took over the parent command, the Hawaiian Department in 1924-1925 (now USARPAC). The photo would be consistent with his assignment as General commanding the Hawaiian Department during that period.

• 1 year later...
Johan Willaert
15 hours ago, seanmc1114 said:

Soldiers of the Hawaiian Division wearing DUI's of the 21st and 35th Infantry Regiments

Thx for posting! Would the Cpl facing the camera be wearing a 24th Div SSI?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Hello everyone,

I realize that this is an old thread but here is my contribution to the Hawaiian Department discussion.  I also included a picture of several 31st Infantry Regiment (Philippine Department) organization day books for comparison.  The earlier books contained few photos however the later books (1940/1941) are a treasure trove of glossy, high quality pictures.   

Mahalo,

Cliff Ramson 

IMG_4112.jpg

IMG_4113.jpg

IMG_4114.jpg

IMG_4115 (1).jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I posted this in another topic as what I assumed to be the SSI of the Hawaiian Division worn as a combat patch. The photo came from the 1947 yearbook of the 38th Regimental Combat Team. Someone replied that it is in fact the Hawaiian Cadre SSI and linked to thgis topic.

From what I have read here, not only was the SSI never authorized by TIOH, but it sounds like it may not have even been issued and worn until after the soldiers were sent to Camp Mackall, North Carolina. If that is the case, under what circumstances would someone wear it as a combat patch?  

Combat Patch.Hawaiian Division.jpg

If he was assigned to the Hawaiian Cadre in Hawaii, he could wear the SSI he acquired later on to represent his wartime overseas service in the unit. Hawaii was "overseas," and "combat" was and is still not a requirement for wearing the former wartime SSI (I believe the Army has recently renamed it). Or, he just put it on to represent service in the 24th Infantry Division thinking it was the right one for him to wear, or he just liked it.