Navy Officier shoulder board question

Jay V

Hi Guys

Was wondering if someone can tell me whats the best way to date navy officiers shoulder boards.The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of starting a small display of them.Looking mainly for WW2. Thanks in advance,jay

Jay-

For WW2 boards, you want them to be "flat". The boards that are "curved" are post WW2. Also look at the button. If the eagle is facing YOUR right, it's a pre mid 1941 board. If looking the other way, post mid 1941. Some boards were made with metal devices (e.g., line star, medical leaf, etc). Those would be WW2. With grey boards, you can assume they're all WW2 (they're starting to fake those now, particularly admirals - so stay away from seemingly good Ebay deals on rare admiral grey boards.)

Telling the difference between 1940's USN officer items and the same for 1950's era can be very difficult, as any changes are minor.

Amount of tarnish can be telling. WW2 era boards will tend to look "older." You certainly have to take into account the other factors, but it helps.

Shop around for these, as most can be found at a very reasonable cost. Ensign thru Commander are cheap. Big jump for Captain. And much much bigger money for admirals. WW2 era admiral boards are tough to find.

Kurt