What is this WW2 Aircraft?

tom63

I think you guys may be right. I compared the cockpit/windscreen in my other photo with one on a North American AT6 Harvard/Texan aircraft site and the windscreen and panels look to be the same to me. Thanks!

post-9295-0-71639800-1447787471.jpg

You can see the Navy Bureau number on the cowl ring of the second photo. 05459. I'd imagine you could trace the history of that particular SNJ-3 by that number

The cockpit photo looks like an SNJ/AT-6 Texan to me, too, but NOT the engine photo.

The propeller hub is wrong for an SNJ/AT-6 Texan. The propeller hub is a variable speed hub as used on the Vultee SNV/BT-13 'Valiant,' often called "The Vultee Vibrator."

The constant speed propeller used on the SNJ/AT-6 has a very different appearance with the center dome typical of constant speed props.

Pic on the right , isn't that an AT6 Harvard ?

Dad was a flyer in the RCAF during the war, and survived a mid-air collision in a Harvard. that pic looks a lot like the one he had on the wall in his home.

The Navy called it SNJ, the Army Air Corps/Air Force called it an AT-6, and the RAF/RCAF called it a Harvard. All were the same basic aircraft with fairly minor differences.