3rd Infantry Division AEF or something else?

jagjetta

I might be looking too hard at this one...is it obviously a 3rd Division patch on this officer's shoulder, or could it be something else? Sorry if I am overthinking this one!

JAG
post-949-0-80847600-1447774692.jpg post-949-0-92373200-1447774702.jpg

post-949-0-52580900-1447774709.jpg

world war I nerd

At first, like John, I thought that this was just an odd variation of the 3rd Division's SSI.

But upon closer inspection, it looks like the background is divided into four quadrants and comprised of two colors. The lower left and upper right hand corners appear to be darker in color.

Am I imagining this or does anybody else see it as well?

Now I'm not so sure that it is a 3rd Division insignia, unless the unusual background (if it is divided into four squares) represents one of the units within that division.

Nevertheless, it's a great photo.

My guess is the same as world war I nerd's. Especially since I think 2nd Battalion, 38th Infantry Regiment was stationed in the town of Obermendig (the town near Koblenz written on the back) during the occupation.

My guess is that it's a combination of IV Corps and 3rd Division.

Very plausible since the 3rd Division was under IV Corps from Nov 17, 1918-May 1919.

world war I nerd

I think that AEF1917 may have hit the nail right on the head with the theory that the shoulder patch is a IV Army Corps & 3rd Infantry Division combo.

post-5143-0-07489800-1447807951.jpg