What color of piping on overseas hat?

Flashlarue

What color of piping would a flight surgeon serving in the 8th AAF wear on his overseas hat? Would it be for the medical branch or the air corps?

Prior to 1940, by regulation, officer's wore branch color cord edge braid on their Field Caps/Garrison Caps. After that date the Army standardized on what was being worn on the Service Hat, and officer's wore black/gold from that point on.

Did a few officer's buck the trend and continue wearing branch color? Probably, but the vast majority were already wearing black/gold unofficially before 1940, which is why the Army went ahead and made it official.

Thank you for the clarification B229. I wonder if that is what Jeeper704 was referring to.

Since the question specifically asked about an officer in the 8th AAF, most likely in England, most likely after December 7, 1941, I did not think that information was pertinent to Flashlarue's question, so I did not address it.

I do appreciate the additional info, though.

Actually he was commioned 1939 1st Lt. Reserve Medical Corps.

July 1941 active duty in Los Vegas

April 1942 Promoted to Capt. 306th BG in Utah

July 1942 made 306th Group Flight Surgeon

August 1942 Promoted to Major

September 1942 306th BG arrived in Thurleigh, England

October 1942 306th BG first combat mission.

Thank you for the clarification B229. I wonder if that is what Jeeper704 was referring to.

He was ....

Just check some period photos, you will find several examples where officers wear the overseas cap with branch colored piping.

You see it also a lot with airborne officers and armor officers.

Erwin