Recommendations For Archival Box Storage of WWII A-2 Jacket

AirMechanic

I have my grandfather's WWII A-2 jacket that I would like to do whatever is possible and correct to preserve it. I've read various suggestions on the forum to store it in an archival box. I had a few questions regarding this method:

1) Can anyone tell me if this is the best way to go?

2) Has anyone purchased one of these boxes themselves and used it to store an A-2 jacket?

3) Are the boxes all the same quality or are there certain features (what they are made of, etc.) that I should look for?

4) The jacket should be stored flat, correct?

5) These archival stores also sell acid-free tissue paper. Should I cover the jacket with them? If so, should the inside of the jacket and inside the arms be stuffed with the archival paper to maintain some shape, or should the jacket be completely flat?

Thanks!

It really depends upon how much money/space/ effort you want to put into it. The major thing is to keep it away from heat/cold sources and light. Major temperature and humidity changes are what destroy the material, as well as light. Also, don't leave it on a hanger where the weight would do damage at the hanger spots.

When I was in museums, we would use acid-free boxes and tissue when funds allowed, but unbleached muslin works just as well for support and wrapping. Archival supplies can be purchased at Gaylord www.gaylord.com/c/Preservation or other places. Try to avoid creases.

. Years ago when we were buying, Gaylord had the best prices. So maybe grab a box for protection and do tissue/muslin, and tuck the box under a bed, but be sure its away from heating/cooling vents (and of course away from water, no basements!)

That's my 2 cents anyway