A-2 Jacket of 1st Lt Edward A Nahkunst 461BG 764SQ 15th USAAF

hirsca

Al -

Check the lining behind the "boxcar" patch - See if you can see stitch holes from a previous patch. .

Best,

Bill

Hi Bill. No evidence of previous stiching on the interior behind the boxcar patch or behind the other leather patch either. I did however, discover previous stich holes on the left shoulder where the 15th USAAF is painted. The shape of the stiching is that of a smaller version of the 461st patch that is on the left front of the jacket.

Thanks, Al

Value is from the complete package

First it is a horsehide Perry A-2 in a good size and condition

very desireable patches and artwork

and a history

2000-2500 is a good retail number and then add for insurance purposes

Spectacular A-2 jacket! It's got everything anyone could ask for. Not one but two patches on the front, painted SSI on both sleeves, painted name and wings on the front and a painted backside...all with excellent provenance! And I thought I had a good 15th AAF A-2 jacket find from a few months ago. A center piece to any collection! Congratulations!

Hi Bill. No evidence of previous stiching on the interior behind the boxcar patch or behind the other leather patch either. I did however, discover previous stich holes on the left shoulder where the 15th USAAF is painted. The shape of the stiching is that of a smaller version of the 461st patch that is on the left front of the jacket.

Thanks, Al

Al -

I went back and looked at the photos more closely - I can see the stitch holes around the painted 15th AF insignia. Given that the top part of the stitching is rounded off and not pointed like the 461st patch I think what was sewn there was the 1st style 15th AF patch - you can look them up on google easily - these were a shield type patch with "XV" used to designate the 15th AF. Sometimes those patches would have an added scroll on the bottom in which the bomb group number was painted. Also, it looks like the the area where the bombs have been painted was "cleared" off and bombs repainted. You can see the discoloring of the leather and a few of the old bombs that didn't fully come off - note they are painted at an angle. Based on this my guess is that this is a reissued jacket and your guy added his personal touches to it. Probably just left the 451st BS patch on it because he thought it was cool or just didn't have time to remove it, we'll never know. One further question - From the photos it looks like the initials in the name are "F.A.N. Ankhunst" - Looks to me like there is a period after the "N" or is that just glare in the photo??

In any case, a terrific looking jacket - enjoy!

Very best,

Bill K.

Al -

I went back and looked at the photos more closely - I can see the stitch holes around the painted 15th AF insignia. Given that the top part of the stitching is rounded off and not pointed like the 461st patch I think what was sewn there was the 1st style 15th AF patch - you can look them up on google easily - these were a shield type patch with "XV" used to designate the 15th AF. Sometimes those patches would have an added scroll on the bottom in which the bomb group number was painted. Also, it looks like the the area where the bombs have been painted was "cleared" off and bombs repainted. You can see the discoloring of the leather and a few of the old bombs that didn't fully come off - note they are painted at an angle. Based on this my guess is that this is a reissued jacket and your guy added his personal touches to it. Probably just left the 451st BS patch on it because he thought it was cool or just didn't have time to remove it, we'll never know. One further question - From the photos it looks like the initials in the name are "F.A.N. Ankhunst" - Looks to me like there is a period after the "N" or is that just glare in the photo??

In any case, a terrific looking jacket - enjoy!

Very best,

Bill K.

Hi Bill. Great info, many thanks. You have very sharp vision. I agree about the stich pattern on the left shoulder. It conforms to the early 15th patch and most likely had a scroll beneath it. And yes, now I can see remnants of earlier slanted bombs. The name on the jacket was supposed to be E. A. Nahkunst, but whomever painted it--a local, I presume--botched his name. It does look like there originally was a period after the letter N, but it was removed. Also, what was supposed to be an H, ended up being a K. Then the upper diagonal of the K was removed to leave what is supposed to be an H. Lastly what was supposed to be an upper case K looks more like a lower case K. Thanks again for bring these points to my attention. Very interesting history of the jacket. If it could only talk. Thanks again, Al

My pleasure - I could study these jackets, and have, all day! When they are painted up they are almost like little stories and, yes, wish this one could talk!

Very best,

Bill

This is the 451st Group emblem

Very nice! That would be a good mate to the flying boxcar 727th BS patch on the jacket.

Is that one of your beautiful creations? What does the background represent other than the PUC w/ 2 OLC's?

Thanks, Al

Johnny Signor

No that one is not one of mine, the background I believe is supposed to be the area/s the bombed, here's one I made of that emblem, if you'd like one made drop me a PM , thanks !

post-2068-0-42393800-1448045429.jpg