Anyone see or buy the 6th MarDiv Corpsman grouping on ebay?

American Heritage

American Heritage

I could not ID the name, D (?) McGRATH in the coat. Could anyone find him? I could only find a Edward J. as PhM3 in D co., 6th medical Bn, in 6th mardiv.

I threw in the 2nd highest bid but lost - should have bid more - look up Marvin J McGrath - put a space between the MC and G in the search engine. Few different assignments and no record after July 1944 - But on Guam he served with 4th Marine War Dog platoon, 4th Marine Reginent, 6th Marine Div. I should have bid more! Pretty rare one. Did I mention I should have bid more?? :(. :)

Best

Bill

American Heritage

thanks Bill, are you looking in the USMC Muster Rolls on ancestry or somewhere else?

I did not understand where the D came from in the seller description

Ancestry records - just posted link in PM. I ignored the "D" since I didn't see it.

Again, I see no record past July, 1944 -

Very best,

Bill

American Heritage

Martin J McGrath was a PhM 1st class in 4th Marines Reinforced, in the 6th mardiv in 1944 but the guy I found (Edward J), was actually a PhM 3rd class (same as on the uniform) in the 6th medical Bn, 6th mardiv so it could be either one, unless further research shows discrepancies or further distinguishes the 2 men. Could Martin have been promoted to PhM 1st class but never worn it on these uniforms (uniforms dated 1942) so he got his uniforms but was in the field for 2 years and never got the proper rank sewn on?? Confusing. If anyone has further insight, it would be interesting to hear from you.

Hello,

the grouping was identified to Dennis Mc Grath PhM3c, H&S Co, 6th Pioneer Bn, 6th MarDiv in april 1945.

Hope this helps. E

Raidercollector

Yes it was Dennis Mcgrath. , Was on Okinawa, No wounds. I was not sure if he was in combat. So I did not bid.It only showed a short time he was their.

Nick

American Heritage

So it really was a D after all. I could not see a D anywhere in the photos so I thought the seller was not reading it correctly. I didn't bid either due to the uncertainty in the name but it was a nice complete grouping and I'm sure the winner will enjoy this uniform.

I agree, I saw no "D" at all anywhere. Thanks everyone for chiming in with the information.

Very best,

Bill K.

Hello,

as a matter of fact, I didn't search with a D, only Mc Grath and pharmacist mate.

Regards, E

belleau_woodsman

Hello,

the grouping was identified to Dennis Mc Grath PhM3c, H&S Co, 6th Pioneer Bn, 6th MarDiv in april 1945.

Hope this helps. E

Did the seller inform you that it was Dennis? I couldn't find a first name anywhere.

Did the seller inform you that it was Dennis? I couldn't find a first name anywhere.

In response to a question, in the listing the seller indicated that the initial "D" preceded McGrath on the belt and one tie but said their was no first name.

belleau_woodsman

It looks like in Oct of 45 he was with Second Battalion, Fifteenth Marines, Sixth Marine Division. Participated in the occupation of Tsingtao area, Shantung province, China

Raidercollector

I do know he was not in the 6th Marines unit history Roster that I could find. He must have been a Transfer or was late in the 6th Marines. Hard to tell since there is not much on ancestry on Dennis,If it is a Dennis. Just my thoughts, But a real nice set as few have said.

Nick

• 1 month later...
belleau_woodsman

It looks like he went from 6th pioneer to 3/22 on 16 May 45. I'm guess due to the number of casualties that 22nd Marines was taking they needed more corpsman. Then he was transferred to 2/15 in August of 45 in time for the occupation. With him going to 3/22 at that time, it appears he would of been in direct support of Sugar Loaf.

American Heritage

Isnt that the group with the task force certificate? I believe the task force went into Japan to secure the ports.

that grouping was to a 6th mardiv marine which recently sold on ebay for around $200.

Even with the confusion on the name, this Corpsman grouping is rare and the price reflected that. Even unattributed Corpsman stuff is getting hard to find, IMO.

belleau_woodsman

that grouping was to a 6th mardiv marine which recently sold on ebay for around $200.

Even with the confusion on the name, this Corpsman grouping is rare and the price reflected that. Even unattributed Corpsman stuff is getting hard to find, IMO.

That is the first 6th Corpsman grouping I have seen go up in a few years.