WW1 USMC Corpsman, 2nd Div AEF

Hessian

Was fortunate enough to win this at a recent auction. Took a bit of a chance as the photos weren't great but now that I finally have it in hand, it's just amazing.

Speaking of photos, I found the one of him in the right breast pocket. It wasn't listed in the auction, I guess no one checked.

His name was John Richardson and he's listed in the Navy book detailing medical personnel serving with the Corps. I'm going to order his file to see what details emerge but for now, here are the photos.

post-4618-0-12317700-1447639728.jpg

The group:

Three covers "hats", a field shirt very well worn, the tunic and a pair of long johns with socks.

Richardson was with 1st Bn 5th Regt.

post-4618-0-77254500-1447639872.jpg

The winter cover. I've seen a few period photos of Marines wearing these "over there". These are kind of weird looking but this one is in perfect condition.

post-4618-0-25221300-1447640276.jpg

I will post more info when I get his file. I do have a brief list of the campaigns he made. I also got some paper with the group not pictured.

post-4618-0-50785400-1447640701.jpg

That PO2 Corpsman rate would appear to be the post 1941 style (crow is not slanted). If this grouping came directly from a legit estate, I guess you could hope the vet added it decades later to wear in parades.

That PO2 Corpsman rate would appear to be the post 1941 style (crow is not slanted). If this grouping came directly from a legit estate, I guess you could hope the vet added it decades later to wear in parades. [/quote

This can often be subtle in my opinion anyway. Perhaps Duke can post a close up of the rate. It also looks more squat like the earlier ones and not as tall as the WWII ones.

That PO2 Corpsman rate would appear to be the post 1941 style (crow is not slanted). If this grouping came directly from a legit estate, I guess you could hope the vet added it decades later to wear in parades.

Id be very interested to see some examples of what you're referring to Kurt. I've personally owned quite a few Navy rates both loose and on uniforms and regarding this one, I can tell you the khaki backing is unlike any other I've handled and is obviously older. The green chevrons are likewise older and the wool markedly different than the WW2 examples I've owned.

Check out the named Navy Corpsman uniform Mike Manifor just sold on his site. The eagle is on a cotton backing vs. Wool like this example but the Chevron material is identical as is the eagle shape.

http://eagleglobeandanchor.com/site/161c8b04742740cbb6867208b5cfa054/default?url=http%3A%2F%2Feagleglobeandanchor.com%2F495-_USMC_CORPSMAN_WW1.html#2805

Can you post a close straight-on photo of just the rate? Perhaps the angle of the photo distorts it.

Will do Kurt. I did notice that the Corpsman rate is not sewn on the uniform parallel to the deck while the 1/5 patch is. That could further be adding to the distortion. I'll post a detail shot tonight and hopefully clear it up.

Thanks

Congrats on another great WWI grouping Duke... you've been a busy collector this year. If possible, do you mind posting a close up of the 1/5 patch also... thank you.

S/F,

Chuck

I just checked John Stacey's book on Navy rates. Apparently, before the 1930's, the USMC procured corpsman rates, not the Navy (i.e., they didn't fall under USN regulations). So, that would explain why this rate doesn't have the pronounced "slant" that typical USN rates of the period have.

Sorry for calling it into question.

I just checked John Stacey's book on Navy rates. Apparently, before the 1930's, the USMC procured corpsman rates, not the Navy (i.e., they didn't fall under USN regulations). So, that would explain why this rate doesn't have the pronounced "slant" that typical USN rates of the period have.

Sorry for calling it into question.

No need to apologize Kurt, were all here to learn and now I know Corpsman rates were procured by the USMC prior to 1930. So thanks.

I'm flying out of town tomorrow for a couple of days but I'll get some good pics of the patches when I return.

Thanks