WWII Fiber Records Chest

Fixbayonets!

Posting some photos of a WWII fiber records chest I just came across. I have been on the hunt for one of these for years, trying to find one complete, in original condition & WWII dated has been a challenge. My search came to an end when I walked into a local antique shop yesterday. This chest is just what I have been looking for, manufactured by Rice Stix Dry Goods Co. & dated August, 1944 on the spec. tag. It has it's original olive drab paint & U.S. stencil & is complete with both leather handles, inside dividers & drawer. I was very surprised to see the original set of keys for the chest hanging on a string from one of the handles. At first I could not get the lock to turn, I do not think it has been turned in decades. I had to clean up the keys a bit and drop a little oil in the lock but it turns & locks just fine. I thought it was a very good deal for $125 and walked away happy!

Rob

post-168-0-18291800-1447621260.jpg

post-168-0-91365500-1447621698.jpg

Thanks! I have the field desk that is used in conjunction with this records chest so I will stock it with period paperwork and display them side by side.

Rob

• 3 years later...

Nice. Post pics when you put it together. Crazy that the keys were still with it. Won't happen twice!

So much for the last part of your reply. This past weekend I picked up a complete records chest and the key was still tied to the hasp. A few months ago I scored a field desk, and the keys for the locking drawer were still inside. To complete the trifecta, a few weeks ago I purchased an antique luggage trunk that was a dealership option on 1920s-30s Hupmobile, Essex, and Terraplane cars. when I opened it up, the keys for the latches were still wired to one of the lid struts. I guess I'm on a lucky streak. :)