Leather jacket patch

Billy Girvan

Question for you on this patch is it a mock up? or real? Dated rear but!? Have shown a close up image of how its been cut out, would these have been better quality? And a row of stitching this to top and bottom only? Would think these sewn all the way around so look forward to your thoughts on it? Thanks in advance apparently he has a few more but if this is a dud! Well for interest sake alone maybe? Cheers billy

Johnny Signor

313th Fighter Squadron , goes back to WW2 but also still in use last I heard .......

But being on leather I would say this one whenever made was for WW2 era

Image below of a 313th

post-2068-0-07892100-1447615605.jpg

I have read the USAAF did have the blank 5 " disc in their inventory for patches to be painted on or decals? is this urban legend?..the blanks where marked QMC...

or was this something cooked up by the repro market?

vintageproductions

I have always thought these ones marked QMC were repro's and sold by one of the repro flight jacket companies.

Agree on the repro, the thickness and overall look remind me of a guy on Ebay with hundreds over the years. He claims they were done in WW2 but have never been used. Also claims that they have been repaired and yadda,yadda,yadda. They've got all kinds of official stamps on the back. I did hear something about the issued leather disk but I believe it was much thinner and dark brown. Never actually confirmed this so don't hold me to it. Lots of veterans have beefed up their own stories as well over the years so you can't go by that. First hand example for me was when an old time showed me his repro B-15 that he was issued in 1944 as part of the OSS."It was in such good shape because 1944 was toward the end of the war"

Also, it looks as if this disk was cut with scissors and is imperfect. I'd think any issued disk would be die cut. I have seen unused decals along with decals applied to the disk. A typical example would be -

post-8058-0-62557600-1447775115.jpg