A.E. F. ‘Trench’ & Overseas Caps

world war I nerd

On 9/8/2019 at 10:52 AM, world war I nerd said:

Glen, thanks for posting pics of your 1918 dated Winter Field Cap with buckled ear flaps.

I wonder if that was a late war specification that never made it overseas? I've seen dozens and dozens of period photos, taken both in the U.S. and overseas, of soldiers wearing Winter Field Caps, but not one of them utilized a buckle. The flaps were all secured by the more common cloth ties. Just because we haven't seen a buckled cap in period photos yes, doesn't mean that they were not worn, but if they were worn, there must not have been very many of them in circulation.

I've seen a few pics of guys in Russia with them on. I think its and extreme cold weather cap.

Cote_1918,

Hey, thanks for your input...

Any chance you can get a copy of any image showing the buckled cap to post here??

• 4 weeks later...

Emerson illustrates this design (in blue) worn by an Army Nurse (p581 figure 79-4).  This particular example (in khaki twill) is likely from a semi-official women's motor corps unit.  There were literally dozens of such organizations in cities around the country.  Despite Jill Smith's extra-ordinary study of World War One women's uniforms, most of these smaller, regional organizations remain poorly, or completely undocumented.

Thanks for the info. I just bought it and really took a gamble. I knew it was WW1 and probably Motor Corps or some type of Female military or volunteer service, but I really Had no idea.

You took a gamble, I took a gamble too!  Pulled it out of a pile of about 200 os caps last week. Wasn't sure on the female piece so only called it out as a possibility in the listing.  Let me know if you're able to find and period shots of one in wear with that insignia. 

If I do find a period pic I will definitely post it. I had looked at all sorts or pics before and after purchasing it and still have not seen  someone wearing it.

• 1 month later...
richbradley56

Hello all -

I'm glad this topic is still active & rich with information.  Many thanks!  I include here some images from my great-grandfather, Brig. Gen. F.M. Caldwell,  He commanded the 75th brigade, 38th division, which was broken up on arrival in France in October, 1918.  He was then assigned to the 83rd brigade, 42nd division, though he was attached to the 29th & 79th divisions during the latter stages of the Meuse-Argonne offensive (I assume with V corps & perhaps helping coordination of the passage of lines, as the 79th relieved the 29th).  He later commanded the 83rd brigade during the occupation of the Rhineland, returning Stateside in April, 1919.

This cap is his, along with his 42nd div. patch & I.D. tag.  I believe purchased Before going overseas.  The photo certainly is, note the absence of a Sam Browne belt.  I have never seen a general officer photo in France showing a cap with 3/8" gold trim, all I've seen seem to be with rather narrower gold soutache.  Enjoy.

thumbnail_20220127_224923.jpg

thumbnail_20220127_224945.jpg

thumbnail_20220127_225016.jpg

thumbnail_20220127_225032.jpg

FMC.BG.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
July1, 1916-HLI17SB

Hello.  I recently purchased this Belgian service cap.  Inside, it has the name of a member of the 33rd US Ambulance Company ….a unit that arrived in France during the first week of June, 1918.  I did find this man as a WW1 veteran in MA burial records and the hat came from MA.  At first, I thought  the cap might be a souvenir.  However….

1) I find no combination of red piping and white tassels in the Belgian army during WWI

2) it is a private purchase hat and the tassel is attached unlike the standard Belgian practice.  

3) The tassel is not a style of any standard period production. It appears locally hand made.  
4) The American soldier has written his name and unit under the sweat band twice… once in English, once in French.  Probably not necessary for a souvenir that gets stuffed in your kit. 

5) Red would be the closest Belgian piping to the US Medical Corps maroon/scarlet of the period.

You probably know where I am going with this.  I am inclined to believe that the American soldier purchased this cap, had a white tassel made to complete his arm of service colors, and wore it for at least a while until his unit received the more common style(s) of cap worn by the AEF.  Thoughts? 

IMG_2430.jpeg

IMG_2431.jpeg

IMG_2432.jpeg

IMG_2433.jpeg

I tend to agree with your theory. Was he an officer? If not, it's interesting that he decided to go with officer's branch-colored piping in lieu of attaching a medical disk to the cap. Is there any evidence of officer's rank insignia, or an enlisted disc having been attached?

July1, 1916-HLI17SB

He was enlisted personnel, and I find no indication of any insignia (pin or post attachment) being added.  

teufelhund
On 1/22/2024 at 5:37 PM, July1, 1916-HLI17SB said:

Hello.  I recently purchased this Belgian service cap.  Inside, it has the name of a member of the 33rd US Ambulance Company ….a unit that arrived in France during the first week of June, 1918.  I did find this man as a WW1 veteran in MA burial records and the hat came from MA.  At first, I thought  the cap might be a souvenir.  However….

1) I find no combination of red piping and white tassels in the Belgian army during WWI

2) it is a private purchase hat and the tassel is attached unlike the standard Belgian practice.  

3) The tassel is not a style of any standard period production. It appears locally hand made.  
4) The American soldier has written his name and unit under the sweat band twice… once in English, once in French.  Probably not necessary for a souvenir that gets stuffed in your kit. 

5) Red would be the closest Belgian piping to the US Medical Corps maroon/scarlet of the period.

You probably know where I am going with this.  I am inclined to believe that the American soldier purchased this cap, had a white tassel made to complete his arm of service colors, and wore it for at least a while until his unit received the more common style(s) of cap worn by the AEF.  Thoughts? 

Hello, 

Here are some informations about the  WW1 belgian "bonnet de police".

Your example is of the ealy style, circa 1900-1916  before the implementation of the OD uniform regulation.

The tassels seems too long to me  be ( looks like having been  borrowed to a curtain) but I am not en expert of belgian uniforms & equipment.

Anyway, according this book &  to the autor who is THE reference on the subject, it seems that a lot of non regulation or  fancy uniform where the common rule at the time.  

bonnet police WW1_0001.jpg

bonnet police WW1_0002.jpg