US Navy Hat Badge Collection

warpath

• 4 years later...

Hi,

I just found this great collection of hat badges. A quick question, what are the badges in the top right of pic#1 (the eagle with different anchors) and pic#2 (the bullion eagle with red/white/blue shield.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi,

I just found this great collection of hat badges. A quick question, what are the badges in the top right of pic#1 (the eagle with different anchors) and pic#2 (the bullion eagle with red/white/blue shield.

Thanks,

Mike

Both are for Army Transports Service.

Great set, about 5 years back I was collecting these like crazy! Any info on the one marked US ? I have never seen or heard of such an example! Was it sailor modified or a short lived pattern ?

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

I'm  new to this so ,how does one tell if the badge is post 45 or pre 45? as it appears the eagle on all face the right.Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Jay V said:

Hi Guys

I'm  new to this so ,how does one tell if the badge is post 45 or pre 45? as it appears the eagle on all face the right.Thanks in advance.

The eagles that face the opposite direction are pre-May 1941. As far as pre or post 1945, there's very little way to tell...hat devices have remained essentially the same since 1941; only the materials used in the last few decades and the more common "pigeon" looking eagles are sure signs of post-WW2 hat devices. Otherwise, WW2 vintage hat devices were used for an indefinite period of time; I have worn one that's WW2 vintage for the last 22 years of my career and while my wife was on active duty, she wore one as well. Very rarely has anyone noticed that the devices differ from what's available today. 

Thanks Dave for the explanation. I was thinking like other USN items that right facing was post 45 and left was before 45. Take Care and Great  Book,Jay

• 3 months later...
David Minton
Thanks Dave for the explanation. I was thinking like other USN items that right facing was post 45 and left was before 45. Take Care and Great  Book,Jay

If you are thinking of eating badges, most changed in 1941, with the remainder changing in 1948. As far as I am aware nothing of significance changed in US Navy uniform regulations in 1945.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk