Wilmer Eye shields?

dunmore1774

I'm sure we've all come across or have seen the M1917 helmets with the holes drilled for the Wilmer eye shields, but I've never seen the actual eye shields. There must be some out there in existence, has anyone seen an authentic pair?

There were 35,000 made, but only about a dozen ever saw anything other than the inside of a crate. Even so, I know of at least three still in existence.

As far as the helmets punched for the Wilmer, only 35,000 of those were made.

Too Much WW1 Militaria

For some reason, there seem to be a lot of 91st Division helmets punched for them. My guess is that the 91st was going to be one of the divisions to test them. From what I understand from talking to AEF vets, they were not really popular. Other than pictures, I've never seen one. Like said above, they never got beyond the trial stage. In fact, I'm not even sure the Wilmer eye clinic at Johns Hopkins has an example.

I have, or have seen, examples from the 1st, 6th, 7th, 27th, 28th, 35th, 37th and 91st Divisions. Based on the examples that could be traced to a specific unit within those divisions, it seems like they went mostly to the Trains.

When they were manufactured, how many rings were attached to the helmet? One per hole (six total)? I came across a helmet that still has one attached on each side, and I don't know if the other four were removed or fell off or what.

Too Much WW1 Militaria

There were 3 split rings on each side. I think there might be a picture of one in "America's Munitions" AEF1917, I had a 2nd Division infantry helmet punched for one too. Over the years, I've found no rhyme or reason to it. Then again, since every Doughboy coming home from France could keep a helmet and a gas mask as well as their uniform, I wonder if the helmets were doled out at random, painted at places like Camp Pontzen, and brought home. I haven't found any consistent pattern to them. Train's sounds as good as any. I think this one might fall into the "Who knows for sure, one theory is as good as the other" category. I'd like to have one though!

John

There was only one ring per side. The other two holes on each side were to adjust the fit of the eye shield. If you look carefully, one hole is at the center line of the helmet, and the other two are on the same side of the center line. By putting the rings in different holes and/or turning the helmet from front to back, five different sizing configurations could be accomplished.

Too Much WW1 Militaria

There was only one ring per side. The other two holes on each side were to adjust the fit of the eye shield. If you look carefully, one hole is at the center line of the helmet, and the other two are on the same side of the center line. By putting the rings in different holes and/or turning the helmet from front to back, five different sizing configurations could be accomplished.

I learned something! One example I had had 3 rings in each side. I always assumed that it attached with 3 rings on each side. Goes to prove you are never too old to learn something! Now, I'm wondering how and why those rings were there.

• 4 years later...

1461973475_Flakgoggles(maybe)BobDuffy.jpg.e3781a6f235dc754255f7e173e8c8815.jpgI have owned these since at least the late 1970s but only recently been able to  have it/them  identified as Wilmer goggles. 1908893589_Sep.1805088.jpg.832cc48dda032d710af3f05f91393eeb.jpg

Sep.18,05 087 - Copy (2).jpg

There is a period drawing of one and two small photos showing front and back of one without the attaching straps/springs in Chris Armold's book Steel Pots.