GOT TO FLY A B17!

twining540

Wasn't sure what topic this would fit under, so mods please move if needed. I am part of a local EAA chapter that helps out with the B17 Aluminum Overcast when it comes into Grand Rapids MI. During its last visit it was leaving Grand Rapids MI bound for Wisconsin with some empty seats. Long story short, we took a trip on it to Wisconsin. Half way over Lake Michigan the pilot got out of the seat and pointed at me and directed me to the pilots seat. I was able to take control of the plane for about 5min(with the co-pilots hands on the other controls of course). One left bank turn and one right bank turn, talk about a smooth ride! Anyways I had to share this with you guys as I don't have many friends around here that care much for this stuff.

post-102692-0-28968300-1447462798.jpg

post-102692-0-53211600-1447462829.jpg

Well that's an experience fewer and fewer people will get to have as time passes. Congratulations. Beautiful plane. I used to go to airshows in my area and always thought the neatest thing was to watch the B-17(s) start up their engines. What a rush.

Very Very Cool! I can see why your excited about it. Thanks for letting us share in your thrill. You must have a grin a mile wide!

BKW

Well as far as my bucket list goes, I was just helping with the restoration of a late war B25 Mitchell at the EAA hanger in Oshkosh.The intension is to restore it to flight status, tour the US, and give rides. I think getting a ride in the B25 would complete my list. What am I talking about, my list ended with wheels up on the 17 with me in it! Thanks for the comments!

Very cool and a great experience. I worked for years at the Yankee Air Museum where we have the B-17 Yankee Lady, the B-25 Yankee Warrior, and the C-47 Yankee Doodle Dandy. All are awesome rides and readily available for those that have an extra $450.00. I would add that rides in the C-47 are significantly less $$ as more can ride. Scott.

Congrats...what a rush it must have been.The sound of vintage aircraft engines and the exaust smell always gives me goose bumps.Cant imagine having hands on the stick.Well done.

My late wife gave me a B17 fight as a birthday present on 29 May 2004, the 50th anniversary of my dad being shot down over Leipzig. I flew with ghosts that day...