Ship's Flag, possibly from USS Bataan CVL 29

dhcoleterracina

This flag is on loan from a relative. It belonged to Lt. (JG) Peyton who was aboard the Bataan during WW2. As I understand it, the Bataan was a smaller class aircraft carrier. I would have thought it would be much larger than the flag here but I don't know what is regulation. He could have been on another ship and this flag could have come from that, I'm researching. I don't know if it comes across in the pictures but it is very dark, almost soot covered. Could this be from the stack smoke hitting the flag over a period of time? Anyway, cool flag in hand.

IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_0905_1.jpg

IMG_0906_1.jpg

Outside URLS are not allowed on the forum. They must be hosted by the forum's servers. I screen grabbed these off the URLs.

flag.JPG

flag2.JPG

That looks like what we refered to as a "Steamer". Those are flags that are smaller than either the "Daily" or "Holiday" Ensigns carried aboard, who's sizes are dictated by regulation depending on the length of the vessel

"steamers" on the other hand are smaller ensigns which are flower under way, as they take a beating and require replacement every few weeks. Much cheaper as flags cost, the larger the flag, they're they cost.

And, yes, that is stack soot staining. You cannot get it out, and with modern fuels (post 1970s), it can be caustic.

I used to carry several dozen "Steamers" on my ships. We'd run them until they were frayed and black then give them away as souvenirs to whoever wanted them. Same with Commisdion Pennants.

dhcoleterracina

Thanks Kurt for fixing the photos.

Thanks Sigsaye for your comments, they make good sense. I wouldn't want to clean it. It looks too cool as it sits. I'm thinking about framing this one. It has a great...been there...look. I'm still trying to get more info as the veteran is still alive.

Steve you said Commisdion Pennants, did you mean Commissioning Pennants?

United States Navy

The commissioning pennant of the United States Navy is "blue at the hoist, bearing seven white stars; the rest of the pennant consists of single longitudinal stripes of red and white. Ships of the United States Navy fly the commissioning pennant from the moment of commissioning until the decommissioning ceremony. The ensign, jack and commission pennant are hoisted directly after the reading out of the commissioning order and struck as the final act before the captain declares the ship decommissioned. The USN uses the pennant as the symbol of the commanding officer.

300px-UScommissionpennant.gif
300px-US_Coast_Guard_Commissioning_Penna
commissioning pennants for the United States Navy & United States Coast Guard

Steve you said Commisdion Pennants, did you mean Commissioning Pennants?

United States Navy

The commissioning pennant of the United States Navy is "blue at the hoist, bearing seven white stars; the rest of the pennant consists of single longitudinal stripes of red and white. Ships of the United States Navy fly the commissioning pennant from the moment of commissioning until the decommissioning ceremony. The ensign, jack and commission pennant are hoisted directly after the reading out of the commissioning order and struck as the final act before the captain declares the ship decommissioned. The USN uses the pennant as the symbol of the commanding officer.

300px-UScommissionpennant.gif

300px-US_Coast_Guard_Commissioning_Penna

commissioning pennants for the United States Navy & United States Coast Guard

. Yes I did. We called them Commission Pennants, but Commissioning Pennant would be the official term ( for example, referring to the OP, there is no such thing as a "Steamer", just what we Signalmen called them)

. Yes I did. We called them Commission Pennants, but Commissioning Pennant would be the official term ( for example, referring to the OP, there is no such thing as a "Steamer", just what we Signalmen called them)

AYE AYE