Painted 448th Bomb Group a2

tball101

Just acquired this BEAUTIFUL jacket! It belonged to Wilfred H-a-s-c-h-k-e of Cedar Rapids, Nebraska. He was a waist gunner on a b24 with the 448th bomb group, 715th Bomb Squadron, 8th Air Force based in Seething, England.

His B24 went down over the English Channel on Aug. 1st, 1944, becoming a member of the goldfish club by surviving the crash landing into the water.

post-88540-0-60270100-1447437993.jpg

That is one FANTASTIC A-2. Congratulations on the find. Doinwork- I have collected US militaria for over 40 years and have had exactly two painted jackets in that time. I got hold of both of them within two weeks of each other. That was in the late 1980's. I've never found another out of the woodwork. It took me 27 years of looking for a real airborne "clicker" before I got my hands on one. I had my second less than a week later. I have not come across another since that time. Collecting is quirky. You never know what you are going to find. I guess that is why it is so much fun!

Allan

The group history notes that the target for 1 August was a fuel dump in Paris, but bad weather scattered the group to hit three targets of opportunity. The narrative does not mention losses for that day so I could t get a plane or pilot name. No mention of your guy in the history either, and the replacement crew list is not indexed, unfortunately