Arizona 158th Infantry Regiment Photo

rd12

I don't usually buy photos but I couldn't pass this one up. E Co, 158th Infantry, AZ National Guard. This was taken 2 years before the 158th was federalized. Officers are wearing khaki pants and shirts, leather belts and suspenders. EM have on khaki pants with darker wool(?) shirts and M1923(?) cartridge belts. Leather boots and puttees are worn as well. Most interesting are the pith helmets!

post-122639-0-45433500-1447381952.jpg

Nice Photo rd12. Have you been able to identify any of the soldiers in the photo? Also, any idea where the unit went after they were federalized?

They were sent to Fort Sill, OK. If I can find a roster I might be able to ID officers and the 1SG. The 1SG is the really tall guy, 4th in on the back row left.

19381120 The Arizona Independent Republic GUARD SERVES STATE, NATION. More than 1,200 men, in addition to 85 officers, are members of the Arizona National Guard, a unit of the United States military forces which have a long tradition of service to its state and nation. The regiment had its beginning in Civil War days, when the First Arizona Infantry, a volunteer unit, was organized. Headed by Tuthill: The Arizona guard is part of the 45th Division, embracing Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado and Oklahoma. The guard is under supervision of Maj. Gen. Alexander M. Tuthill, the adjutant general, a veteran member. The site for the annual encampment, located near Flagstaff, is named after the adjutant general. Units Are Listed: Guard units are distributed as follows: Phoenix: Company D, 120th Quartermaster Regiment; Regimental Headquarters Company, 158th Infantry; Headquarters Company, Third battalion, 158th Infantry; and Company F, Company K, Service Company, state staff and state detachment, all of the 158th Infantry. Tempe: Headquarters Company, First battalion, 158th Infantry. Nogales: Company A, 158th Infantry. Buckeye: Company B, 158th Infantry. Douglas: Company C, 158th Infantry. Casa Grande: Company D, 158th Infantry. Safford: Company G, 158th Infantry. Flagstaff: Company I, 158th Infantry. Yuma: Company L, 158th Infantry. Prescott: Company M, 158th Infantry. Mesa: Howitzer Company, 158th Infantry, and Battery E, 158th Field Artillery. Chandler: Headquarters Company, 89th Brigade. Tucson: Headquarters Company, Second battalion, 158th Infantry, Company E and Company H, 158th Infantry, and Medical Department Detachment. Trains At Fort Sill: The summer training camp of Battery E, 158th Field Artillery, is Fort Sill, Okla. The troops participated in the Third Army maneuvers along the nation’s southern border this summer. With the exception of the field artillery battery, the guardsmen were quartered at Fort Huachuca, near the United States-Mexico border. It was the first time in a half-decade the guardsmen had not been sent to the Flagstaff permanent camp.

Third Army History - The Fort Huachuca maneuver extended from 13 to 27 August, the concentration consisting of about 2,200 officers and men. Blue was represented by the 25th and 158th infantries plus attachments and Brown by flags simulating two regiments of infantry. The situation had the Browns crossing the border in the vicinity of Douglas. Mission of the Blues was to move east from Fort Huachuca and intercept the Browns. The 1938 maneuvers were valuable proving grounds of morale, equipment and command. One cavalry major wrote General Moseley after the maneuvers: "Our squadron had everything from night marches, lost connecting files, delaying rations, missent orders, delayed reliefs, misunderstood instructions, down to even improperly buried dead horses to deal with. All of these could have happened in actual war, but the fact that they did happen in the Third Army maneuvers, the errors will be remembered and corrected the next time."

Interesting photo. I am friends with a descendent of Tuthill who runs a small military museum at Ft Tutthill in my town honoring this unit. Very nice image. Kevin

Interesting photo. I am friends with a descendent of Tuthill who runs a small military museum at Ft Tutthill in my town honoring this unit. Very nice image. Kevin

I've been to the museum twice, hopefully the next time I head up North it will have reopened.

http://www.forttuthill.org/

• 10 months later...
  • 7 years later...
158Bushmaster

Hey, was doing some research and saw this thread.  I'm the President of the Fort Tuthill Military Museum and always looking for new photographs, etc. to add to our museum.  Could you send me a high quality scan so we could use it in building one?  Thanks let me know.