1812 War Era Sword

historyrecovered

Came across this in a auction , was told it was from the 1812 war period. Does anyone know if this sword looks like the right style or period ? I have no idea what to be looking for but looks pretty accurate from basic light research

Thanks!

Here is the link : http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREAT-WAR-OF-1812-SWORD-FOUND-FELLS-POINT-BALTIMORE-/231748562965?hash=item35f54a7015:g:K4wAAOSw5VFWQjGt

I know I risk now other collectors on here going after it , but I figure in its condition a lot of the value is gone. I like the items beat to hell!

post-154618-0-39867500-1447380149.jpg

I'm no sword expert, but it looks right for the period. The odd thing is how straight the blade is, I would expect at least some curve. I don't see any maker's marks, and some damage/missing piece from the guard/handle area.

Although it seems generally to go against the flow, I also like the been there done that look. Besides those are the only ones I can afford (occasionally). The sword shown looks good to me. I wonder if there was some sort of latch where you see damage that held the sword in a scabbard. That however would make me think it's later than the 1812 period. I look forward to seeing what some of the pros think.

Hmmm so what's the likelihood of it being found in baltimore as described ?

Its history could be anything. Francis Scott Key could have been holding it as he composed a song in Baltimore Harbor. Or some GI could have found it in France in 1945 and let it rust away in his backyard shed for the last 70 years.

If you like the look of it and want to hang it on the wall - fine. But it offers nothing past that.

historyrecovered

Well I don't buy stories so no , I am just interested in this for what it is , without reference of location of it's origins.