Sharpshooter with Machine Gun bar, USAAF?

Keith

A ladies father told her this: He was in the Army/Air Force. He received a Sharpshooters Badge W/Machine Gun Bar. She, and I was wondering if the Air Force Sharpshooters Badge W/Machine Gun Bar is different from the one issued by the Army?

My question for the forum is: Is there such a thing as a WW2 AAF qualification badge with Machine Gun bar? My thinking is the badges were earned in Boot Camp and the Army and Army Air Force did the same basic training so the badges would be the same for either. But when I think about it I do not recall seeing a USAAF uniform with that badge on it? Thanks.

Not uncommon to see Army marksman badges on Army Air Corps uniforms since both were the same branch at the time.. The machine gun bar may have been for his qualification as an aerial gunner. The individual may have entered the service, completed basic training and then gunners school perhaps and wore the marksman badge on his uniform prior to getting aerial gunner wings..

Just a hunch...

Leigh

• 2 weeks later...

Not uncommon to see Army marksman badges on Army Air Corps uniforms since both were the same branch at the time.. The machine gun bar may have been for his qualification as an aerial gunner. The individual may have entered the service, completed basic training and then gunners school perhaps and wore the marksman badge on his uniform prior to getting aerial gunner wings..

Just a hunch...

Leigh

Thank you. Makes sense to me!