Unusual Grip

MilitariaKollektor

northcoastaero

As far as I know, this type of grip was used with the USAF F-4 Phantom II in the aft cockpit. The USN/USMC usually did not have flight controls in the aft cockpit of their F-4 acft. However, the USN/USMC did have a modification for flight controls in the aft cockpit, but I believe they looked very simple compared to the USAF factory installed ones.

MilitariaKollektor

Thanks for all the input. I was able to google a photo of the stick grip in the rear cockpit of an F-4. I never would have guessed.

10ii2qu.jpg

northcoastaero

Correct. For the front cockpit on the F-4, F-86, F-100, F-101, F-105, etc. I believe this grip is designated B-8. Also used

on early USN/USMC F-4 acft. before type was changed to a later style. Earlier ones had a hand rest on the lower right

side which could be cut off (modification) so it would not catch on anything during ejection. Later ones were made without the

hand rest. May also have been used on the F-15 and A-10 acft. Not sure about F-5/T-38 and T-37/A-37 acft. Hope this helps.

MilitariaKollektor

Thanks for the info northcoastaero. I never noticed the hand rest but apparently one has the hand rest and the other does not.

msm26u.jpg

104g3dh.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi,

The F-4 front cockpit grip is also typical with the missing base. No other jets use it except early F-15 with a a black thumb button selector.

U have the twins !

I have a nice grip collection, 20 & not finished yet. I'm looking for a backseater F-4 grip.