HOW LONG DO YOU WAIT FOR A PICKER FOLLOW-UP?

BEAST

Recently I bought a nice 15th Air Force shirt from a local picker. I was talking with the picker yesterday. and come to find out that the vet's family may still have his A-2 as well as other uniforms/medals. When the family was cleaning out the estate, they were going to throw out the military stuff, "because no one buys that". After the picker met with them, they decided to hold on to the items with the exception of the shirt that I got.

Now, I like working with this picker and don't want to undercut them, but I would like a shot at the remaining items also. How long should I give the picker to do a follow-up with the family? Actually I am not sure if they will follow-up or if they will wait for the family to contact them. How long should I give the picker to follow-up before I contact the family? Two weeks, six months, a year ? I looked this up in my copy of Miss Manners, but for some reason she doesn't address this situation! :)

By the way here is a link to the shirt that I picked up from this picker. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...c=23061&hl=

I'd do something after two weeks. Your picker will forget about it and move on. The family will in all likelihood had this drop off their radar screen after that period of time. Most pickers have many people they hunt stuff for and, sorry to say, may not be as excited about getting these things as you are. I'd call your picker back first, if he doesn't get back to you in a few days, then he isn't doing his job. At that point I'd take over. Beware however, that if you get your picker ticked off at you, you may find yourself without his services in the future.

I'd give him a call after a few days and tell him that if I didn't hear from him in a week I was going to contact the family. If he wants your money he'll get on it. Dave

Thanks guys. It was a month ago (July 12th) that I bought the shirt, and I spoke to the picker yesterday. I think contacting the family after 1 September would be ok. We will see what happends.

Thanks guys. It was a month ago (July 12th) that I bought the shirt, and I spoke to the picker yesterday. I think contacting the family after 1 September would be ok. We will see what happends.

Yeah, that gives your picker time to follow through, after that, it's fair game!

pathfinder505
I'd do something after two weeks. Your picker will forget about it and move on. The family will in all likelihood had this drop off their radar screen after that period of time. Most pickers have many people they hunt stuff for and, sorry to say, may not be as excited about getting these things as you are. I'd call your picker back first, if he doesn't get back to you in a few days, then he isn't doing his job. At that point I'd take over. Beware however, that if you get your picker ticked off at you, you may find yourself without his services in the future.

Yeah a ticked picker isnt good. However, I have found once you make the initial buy "very few" of these guys ever follow up. They have moved on to the next one. I think I would agree with the other people on here and call him and if no results in a couple of days call the family. Because the other down side is the family isnt sitting out there waiting on your picker either and it will be gone!

I have seen this very situation played out several different ways. Usally, when the picker gets the first item, its out of the trash (Estate Sale is pending soon) or at a pre- garage type sale ( Estate sale cancelled or wont be for awhile), or at the Esate sale its self, meaning sale is done and thats all you got.

When I recieve a "hot tip" for follow up, I will check for the address, and if I can locate it, it goes on my watch lists. Whether they be drive bys, or just watching the paper for a sale. One of my pickers brought me some silver ( Gorham ) and some other goodies (lighters pens and such) from a sale that was pending. After reading the name on one of the pens, I saw it was from a sale my company was about to conduct.... Then I found out my boss did not have a signed contract. I of course purchased everthing the picker found, and when we had our signed contract, charged it all back to the estate, for sell at a reasonable profit for the estate. It seems that one of the family members wanted to tidy up the office and just threw every thing away. There aint no telling what this person threw out that my picker did not get. ( He had been working the trash that had been put out for weeks, as were others) Trust your pickers, but do your own work. Also, pray to god they aint burgerlars, pinch.gif themselves. Just my 2 1/2 cents worth Dave

Someone who goes to flea markets, estate sales, garage sales etc., who knows what you like and will actively look for those items to buy and resell to you at a usually pretty fair price.

• 2 weeks later...

The family situation is always tough, Best of luck with that one. I was recently working on a 507th PIR grouping of which I recieved the jump uniform, ike jacket and pants. I was able to do the research and find out lots of great things about the vet. Later they told me they had found some beautiful 507th patches and other things, and didn't say much more I offered to purchase them to keep the grouping together and to name their price, and I have not heard from the family since.

Thanks to all for your comments! I spoke with the picker today and found out that he does have more from this family. Photos, uniforms, etc.! Now the bad news, the picker decided that now he is a collector and is going to hold on to the items! As a matter of fact, he is now going to ASMIC this weekend. Well at least he has the items now and I may be able to talk him out of them. The worst part of the picker having all this is that he has shown that he is not interested in keeping it all together. And honestly, I am not sure if he keeps track of what comes from which vet.

Thanks to all for your comments! I spoke with the picker today and found out that he does have more from this family. Photos, uniforms, etc.! Now the bad news, the picker decided that now he is a collector and is going to hold on to the items! As a matter of fact, he is now going to ASMIC this weekend. Well at least he has the items now and I may be able to talk him out of them. The worst part of the picker having all this is that he has shown that he is not interested in keeping it all together. And honestly, I am not sure if he keeps track of what comes from which vet.

Now for the rest of the story....as you can see, pickers have computors too. They want the most for thier finds, and one day they graduate to be coming a "real" dealer. These fellows, and gals too, will learn as they go. They will buy and sell only so much before they realize that they can sell on ebay or at a market / mall and get insane monies for certain items. If they are smart they will keep certain contacts and move up the food chain for certain high dollar items. This is what I have done on objects that dont hold my intrest, but are valuble to others. In my case, such as railroad items and nutcrackers to name a few. I have buyers for certain items that money is no object, but condition is. That is why you must always keep your pickers informed or well paid. Dont ever lie to them, just dont tell every thing you know or suspect. As the pickers economic status improves, so does thier field of selling expand, to a wider buying pool. Usally when they say they are going to "collect" that type of item, it means they are shopping for a new buyer. Do your home work, figure out where they shop, get to know what they know and you can circum navigate them when the need or importance arise. After all it is a Dog eat Dog world out there. Patience is the best virtue and I always deal with my pickers with respect, just show them you are in it for the long haul, and dont piss and moan because you were to cheap and so and so paid more.

As a side note, as they become more educated, they get to set the price, :lol: and then you can educate them on what its really worth, when they they ask 200 bucks for a 10 dollar book.

Just my 2 1/2 cents worth, ok, maybe 3 cents worth.... Dave

Yup, this is the downside of using a picker. They keep calling you with finds and you keep educating them on what things are worth and suddenly they no longer want to pick for you... not when there is real money to be had. I had the same thing happened to me with a guy I used to use. The more he's picked for me the higher his prices started going. Now, he has started listing on eBay instead of calling me. To think, I taught him everything he knows... for free! pinch.gif

101combatvet

There really is no answer to your question.... except for luck. In the name of keeping the grouping together I would locate the family and buy directly from them. Your picker may never know.... and what's more important your relationship with the picker hug.gif or getting the grouping? What's that old adage.... awe yes.... "eveything is fair in love and war".

It looks like the picker cleaned out the family but is keeping part of it for himself. Your right about his evolution as I see that he has been selling on EBay. So I will see what I can get from him. Right now he is in the process of taking apart the vet's scrap book! Won't keep it together, because now he is a collector and what's to keep SOME of it for himself! Schmuck! crying.gif

It looks like the picker cleaned out the family but is keeping part of it for himself. Your right about his evolution as I see that he has been selling on EBay. So I will see what I can get from him. Right now he is in the process of taking apart the vet's scrap book! Won't keep it together, because now he is a collector and what's to keep SOME of it for himself! Schmuck! crying.gif

Tell him a " real Collector " would never strip a scrapbook...... only a picker would :rolleyes:

Kurt

Tell him a " real Collector " would never strip a scrapbook...... only a picker would :rolleyes:

Kurt

And if that don't work... :packin heat:

Kurt

I have to agree with Kurt.

Sounds like he is stripping the better items to seel on ebay in my opinion.

RON

Peter picker picked a peck of pictures.....sorry :unsure: ...i had to say it.

Re: a "picker", sounds like the only reliable, longterm relationship would be with a close friend or relative. Otherwise i'd imagine they'd change their tune eventually much akin to the situation Beast just had.

I have to agree with Kurt.

Sounds like he is stripping the better items to sell on ebay in my opinion.

RON

Also most pickers soon find some one else if they think they can get more money out of them than you.

Dirt Detective

This is the reason why ya gotta offer reasonable prices..we know nice items will do nothing but go up in value and collect ability. I just listed a WW1 Canadian Tunic, within a half hour I was offered $250 to pull it, I decide to let it ride. It sold for $1245.00 If the guy had offered $500 I probably would have pulled it and it would have been his. Boy am I thankful that guy cheaped out on his offer..

Also most pickers soon find some one else if they think they can get more money out of them than you.

Sounds to me like pickers very soon become peckers :lol: .

This is the reason why ya gotta offer reasonable prices..we know nice items will do nothing but go up in value and collect ability. I just listed a WW1 Canadian Tunic, within a half hour I was offered $250 to pull it, I decide to let it ride. It sold for $1245.00 If the guy had offered $500 I probably would have pulled it and it would have been his. Boy am I thankful that guy cheaped out on his offer..

Actually I have paid the picker's price alomost everytime. Even for some of his lesser quality (read Crap!) items. I am going to talk to some other folks and see if they know his EBay ID. Very likely that he has gone to EBay or has another buyer.

It seems to me that if you have a picker, it won't be long before this happens. As I said earlier in this thread, this has happened to me several times. That's why I'm always trying to find new pickers. I was at an antique store the other day and the owner said that most everyone who has been in the antique business any amount of time knows that military items are the "Hot" ticket right now. So, many of the traditional pickers, who in most cases, are picking for other antique dealers and not just for one or two individuals, now know that they can peddle their items for more money.

I have let all of my wife's rummage sale friends know that if they find something even remotely military... to call me. I had one of these do this recently and I picked up the entire ID'd estate of WWII T/Sgt. Richard Levy of the 32nd ID. I've got two complete dress uniforms, medals, field gear, divisional history, pictures, captured Japanese flag, etc. All this occurred as a result of one of the rummage salers calling me. The family couldn't believe I would actually be willing to pay $150.00 for all of it! It may take time, but, patience has it's rewards!!! thumbsup.gif