Grandfathers Bring back Mauser Kar98 rifle

WWII_GI

This rifle belonged to my grandfather Leonard A. Daniels, I acquired the rifle along with two Finnish mosin nagants a couple years ago when we found them in my uncles estate. His estate was previously my grandfathers so he had a lot of his possessions still there. Sadly my grandfather passed away in 2001 so I was too young to remember him. He served in Europe and mostly Austria during WWII, Leonard was a Tec 5 and was part of the 24th Cavalry Reconnaissance squadron. If I remember correctly he was overseas for a year and a half spending a bulk of his time in Austria in 1945 and 1946.

This rifle is a 1943 dated Mauser Kar98 that was sporterised and put into a M1903 scant stock. It has all the German markings so I was told it was definitely an american bring back rifle. Now I'm not sure if this violates the forum rules being that it isn't rock solid identified to my grandfather. It definitely could be his rifle and I would love to be 100% sure that it was his but I probably wont ever know. He was a gun owner and he was a very good shooter so he definitely could have brought this one home and sporterised it to his liking. Also the bolt doesn't match the rifle which is common with captured rifles as the bolt was separated when captured. So it was his rifle I just cant be sure that he brought it home from Austria. I will include some photos, papers, and his awards that I have displayed.

I plan on finding original German parts to complete the rifle so It can be proudly displayed in my collection as a captured Kar98 Rifle. I need to find a Laminated Mid to late war Mauser stock set, cleaning rod, turned down bolt, and lastly a front sight hood.

Again if this post violated the spoils of war sections rules then moderators go ahead and remove it.

Thanks for looking!

-Steven

post-104606-0-39530500-1447206945.jpgpost-104606-0-73806900-1447206953.jpg

post-104606-0-54919400-1447207039.jpg

Here's a group of his papers, it include, Honerable Discharge, Dogtag, 10 Francs bill, US $1 with all the places he went written on it, Photos of him, Zone command of Austria Permanent pass, Cross Sabers Membership card, Note from Lt.Col. saying he got the highest rifle score in his company, and a news article saying the same.

post-104606-0-63245200-1447207042.jpg

Here's a group of his photos, and a shadowbox of his awards, the collar brass, ribbon rack, rifleman badges, and dog tags are his. I added the rest for the display.

post-104606-0-84685800-1447207373.jpgpost-104606-0-52152200-1447207377.jpg

nice rifle.. the bolt is from a GEW98.

I heard a lot of times with bringbacks that the bolts were in a pile and the guys just grabbed one.

-Brian

nice rifle.. the bolt is from a GEW98.

I heard a lot of times with bringbacks that the bolts were in a pile and the guys just grabbed one.

-Brian

You're exactly right! I have seen captured Mausers with straight bolts so it seemed to be a common thing. I head that too, they'd put them in separate piles so thee rifles couldn't be picked up and used so soldiers just picked up two parts and send them home.

-Steven

I can't make out the maker of the K98. I see a "C" above the 43 but can't make out the other letter(s). Have the swastikas been struck out? In any event, nice rifle and bring backs.

Close enough. If you believe it was your Grandfather's bring back, who are we to say otherwise. But regardless, very good job documenting his service history. That is what is supposed to happen on this section of the Forum.

I can't make out the maker of the K98. I see a "C" above the 43 but can't make out the other letter(s). Have the swastikas been struck out? In any event, nice rifle and bring backs.

The Makers mark is CE, and none of the swasticas are marked out, there's one near the date and maker, and one on the bolt, probably a couple more that I'm forgetting. They're not big stamps but they're definitely Waffen stamps.

Thanks!

-Steven

It looks as if the rifle has not been cut or drilled Parts are available to put it back in military appearance.

That's what I was told, looks like some spots on the stock were cut/filled so the rifle could fit. In the process of finding the correct parts, just have to shell out the cash for originals.

-Steven

Steven, since you are local, try Lee's Gun Parts on Pioneer in Irving. He will most likely have everything you need.

Good luck, Al

P.S. Great shadow box honoring your Grandfather. You just need to flip the top ribbon bar to get it in proper order.

Steven, since you are local, try Lee's Gun Parts on Pioneer in Irving. He will most likely have everything you need.

Good luck, Al

P.S. Great shadow box honoring your Grandfather. You just need to flip the top ribbon bar to get it in proper order.

Thank you for the tip! Will have to check there soon. Ah I didn't even notice that mistake! Thank you for pointing that out! The Occupational ribbon was actually upside down when I got it, I'm sure incorrect ribbon bars was a common thing.

Thanks again!

-Steven

Steven,

The shadow box looks great. I have one question for you. Your grandfather served in the Army? The Occupation medal appears to be the Navy verison. The US Army Occupation medal will have the Remagen Bridge on the front and on the back will be 2 sampans passing by Mt Fuji in Japan. It will also say on the front of the medal Army of Occuaption. The Navy/Marine Corps version just states Occupation Service on the front. The ribbon is the same for both but the medallion is different.

It is unique if this is what the military issued your grandfather, an error on their part.

Leigh

• 4 weeks later...

Steven,

The shadow box looks great. I have one question for you. Your grandfather served in the Army? The Occupation medal appears to be the Navy verison. The US Army Occupation medal will have the Remagen Bridge on the front and on the back will be 2 sampans passing by Mt Fuji in Japan. It will also say on the front of the medal Army of Occuaption. The Navy/Marine Corps version just states Occupation Service on the front. The ribbon is the same for both but the medallion is different.

It is unique if this is what the military issued your grandfather, an error on their part.

Leigh

Yeah you're right on that, the medals were added by me for his display and I noticed that soon after I received the medal. I just haven't gotten around to replacing it with the correct medal, I should probably do that!

Thanks for the tip!

-Steven

I finally got the parts I needed and got the rifle put together. I want to thank forum member BROBS for the amazing stock that's on rifle, it really makes her a beauty. So I replaced the bolt with an original German marked turned down handle bolt, I found an original used sight hood that matches perfectly, and I got a reproduction cleaning rod for the time being, will have to replace that soon. The rifle is complete! A mismatched serial number bring back Mauser Kar98K! Now i just gotta get her to the range!

Thanks to everyone for they're help!

-Steven

post-104606-0-71914500-1449541469.jpgpost-104606-0-16610700-1449541472.jpg

I have a couple (at least that's what my wife thinks) Japanese rifles and they rarely (like K98k's) come with cleaning rods. I don't seem to have the time or patience to hunt down real ones. I've resigned myself to being comfortable with repros. Maybe someday.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but be careful shooting the rifle, the replacement bolt would need to have the headspace checked.Too much headspace and the cartridge case will rupture.