WW1 USMC Navy Cross DSC Recipient grouping Belleau Wood

Hessian

I've had this grouping for awhile but I felt that today being the 240th Birthday of the Marine Corps I would dig it out and finally photograph it to share with anyone who might enjoy seeing it.

Corporal Fred W. Hill was an enlisted Marine who serving with the 84th Company received the Distinguished Service Cross (and subsequently the Navy Cross) for the following action:

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross to Corporal Fred William Hill (MCSN: 91207), United States Marine Corps, for extraordinary heroism while serving with the Headquarters Company, Sixth Regiment (Marines), 2d Division, A.E.F., in action in the Bois-de-Belleau, France, on 8 June 1918. Regardless of personal danger, Corporal Hill showed conspicuous bravery in carrying ammunition from the dump into the fighting line in the face of heavy machine-gun and rifle fire in the Bois-de-Belleau. Learning of the need of hand grenades, he carried them forward without waiting for orders.

Hill also rec'd the Silver Star citation for Chateau Thierry:

By direction of the President, under the provisions of the act of Congress approved July 9, 1918 (Bul. No. 43, W.D., 1918), Corporal Fred William Hill (MCSN: 91207), United States Marine Corps, is cited by the Commanding General, SECOND Division, American Expeditionary Forces, for gallantry in action and a silver star may be placed upon the ribbon of the Victory Medals awarded him. Corporal Hill distinguished himself while serving with Headquarters Company, Sixth Regiment (Marines), 2d Division, American Expeditionary Forces at Chateau-Thierry, France, 6 June - 10 July 1918.

Hill was eventually given a temporary commission as a 2nd Lt and served the rest of the occupation out with HQ, Sixth Regiment. He was also wounded resulting in the award of the wound chevron on his left sleeve and eventually the Purple Heart when the award was instituted.

Included in the group is all you see. The most poignant of the items are the letters. In them, one father of a fallen Marine thanks 2ndLt Hill for taking the time to write his wife and him to tell them how their son died.

He was apparently quite a ladies man as well as a few of letters are from ladies back home.

post-4618-0-13493300-1447199228.jpg

If the overseas caps looks familiar, it appears in Alec book Equipping the Corps.

The French Made EGA's bird has flown away apparently.

post-4618-0-67186500-1447199385.jpg

ViewfinderGyrene

If the overseas caps looks familiar, it appears in Alec book Equipping the Corps.

The French Made EGA's bird has flown away apparently.

Love the anchor-to-globe size ratio of French-made EGAs. You've really landed some amazing stuff lately, Duke...

OMG Duke another amazing grouping. At what and time are you opening a museum to display your amazing collection? Definitely some one of a kinds!

Mark

Thanks everyone for all the kind words. I hope my posting of these groups are taken in the spirit of sharing versus showing them off... I always enjoy seeing what other collectors post in terms of my own interests and that's why I post mine.

Regarding the medals, to Trenchbuff's question... no idea. But I wish I did! If anyone does, please let me know. It would be good to at least know they are 'out there'.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Thanks everyone for all the kind words. I hope my posting of these groups are taken in the spirit of sharing versus showing them off...

Suuuuuure! ;) Well I hope you continue to "share" your wonderful groups with us! I love the collar insignia on the coat and I love those overseas covers!

Really cool group! Wouldn't it be great to have an article addressing how many of these "Mustang" Marine officers there were during and after WWI? It would be great to compare how the Marine's were commissioned in France and Germany with the A of O as well as the OCS process for the soldier's. There were some really talented people that were made officers in this way in the AEF. It's important , I think, to remember the AEF was already getting ready for Round 2 with the Germans at the time of the Armistice! I really love the letters- please do think about adding some of them to this thread. Thanks for sharing such a neat group- it's all about the stuff and the stories!

David

• 1 month later...

Any information on Hill as to when he passed away or where he is buried? Would you mind if I used any of these photos on his memorial profile?

Thanks...