Rare rigger made canvas bag for handie talkie

Peace

Hi all,

I was offered this rigger made canvas bag, used to carry the handie talkie. First one I ever saw in the flesh, so I didnt hesitate. Price was very reasonable.

One of these is featured in the book by Michel Detrez, First Airborne Taskforce.

I hope you like it!

post-132-0-75395500-1447108544.jpg

Regards,

Stijn

Yes indeed, it has a similar construction, but is somewhat more simple in construction and also the materials are different. No markings what so ever.

I found one example of these bags in the book by Michel Detrez, First Airborne Taskforce.

Here it is;

post-132-0-33410300-1447240151.jpg

Kind regards,

Stijn

I can only assume it is to tie down the whole shebang when jumping. The radio weights a fair bit, so you would need something sturdy to hold it to your leg when you hit the prop blast.

I can only assume it is to tie down the whole shebang when jumping. The radio weights a fair bit, so you would need something sturdy to hold it to your leg when you hit the prop blast.

The whole set up looks a little light for jumping in my thinking.Would figure parachute maintenance would have sewn on heavier straps or reinforced the bag or end of the bag where the antennae cover sticks out.This is one of those things I would want a photo in use of it being worn.To easy to take a common surplus item and turn it into a rigger made item.

The whole set up looks a little light for jumping in my thinking.Would figure parachute maintenance would have sewn on heavier straps or reinforced the bag or end of the bag where the antennae cover sticks out.This is one of those things I would want a photo in use of it being worn.To easy to take a common surplus item and turn it into a rigger made item.

That was my concern, the bag not only seems light for jumping but also seems light for combat use considering the weight of the handy talkie.

OP. I'm interested in some more information on these bags and some close ups of the construction if that is possible.

J

WWII Parachutist

Why would a rigger use a shiny snap when these type of military snaps are blacken brass? Looks like a repro for a reenactor.

Parachute maintenance sections were primarily equipped with parachute materials, and nickel snaps were standard on pack trays until mid 1943. Stocks were still being used into 1944. Parachute equipment in the MTO was generally older than that issued in the ETO, so nickel snaps doesn't scream repro to me.

The only thing that would concern me is the light construction. Parachute opening shock, or more specifically snatch force, was known to snap D-bales from helmets and rip canteens clean off and would put this through the ringer. More detailed pics would certainly help.

• 3 years later...

Hi all,

its been a while, but wanted to share this information I found here.

I've had said bag for a few years now, and recently acquired another one. Unfortunately this example does not have its straps anymore.

They are almost exact in construction. They both have the same features:

-black thread used for stitching

-nickel plated 'Lift the dot'

-canvas (although different in shade)

-same clasp

-same hbt twill for the strap material

And most interestingly, they both have a hole in the bottom, exactly at the same location.

post-132-0-19961900-1548430867_thumb.jpg

I also found a wartime picture, of what I believe is the same pouch in use.

The pouch on the hip of the paratrooper to the left seems to have this same pouch. It looks like the M1A1 training bag, but seems more in line construction wise to the pouch discussed. Also, no text can be seen on the face of the pouch.

It clearly sports a gas mask. You can see the outline of it.

post-132-0-65281500-1548431170_thumb.jpg

And for comparison: the small strip of canvas which holds the lift the dot in the M1A1 bag looks to be absent on the other period picture.

post-132-0-21520500-1548431287_thumb.jpg