''It talks English that the Germans understand''

tarbridge

Pvt Robert R Mangum was born 15 November 1922 in Glen Alpine,Burke County, North Carolina.He orginally suffered a wound on 17 May1944 in Italy.His parents received a letter from Robert telling of his recovery and soon to be back on duty status.

In a 26 June letter to his mother after leaving the hospital, Mangum relays his sound condition and being nearly well.Then he wrote of his duties...''My Job,'' he said, ''Is to handle the light machine gun.It talks English the Germans understand.''

Pvt Robert R Mangum serving with the 337th Infantry Regiment of the 85th Division, was Killed in Action on 27 Oct 1944...Italy.

''If ye break faith with us who die,We shall not sleep''.

IMG_20151109_0001 (148x640).jpg

Really outstanding. I don't have a KIA purple heart, but I did get a letter grouping recently from a WWII KIA. Haven't read through it all yet, but it sure makes you think. I've got all of the letters in order with the dreaded telegrams at the end. Fellow was sure he'd come home. Rough stuff.

I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for family members to make it from day to day with loved ones overseas. I know my dad's folks did it. Rest in peace.

• 1 year later...

Pvt Robert R Mangum was in Company A. His ASN as 34892108 and his hometown as Morgantown, NC.

He received his Combat Infantryman Badge via General Order 42 1944 effective 21 July 1944.

He was temporarily buried in Mt Beni cemetery on 4 Nov 1944.

Pvt Robert R Mangum was in Company A. His ASN as 34892108 and his hometown as Morgantown, NC.

He received his Combat Infantryman Badge via General Order 42 1944 effective 21 July 1944.

He was temporarily buried in Mt Beni cemetery on 4 Nov 1944.

Thank you.

I was going to look-up where Company A was fighting on 17 May and then on 27 October. Trying to see if there is any record of when he was wounded/KIA in October.

I was going to look-up where Company A was fighting on 17 May and then on 27 October. Trying to see if there is any record of when he was wounded/KIA in October.

Thanks...if you get the chance.

Wounding 17 May 1944

Just before Midnight on the 11th May, 1944, the 339th Regiment, Company K attacked Hill 66 and adjoining Hill 69. At 0400 12 May Company A of 337th Regiment moved to help Company K, 339th Regiment. By 1500 Hill 69 was captured...but they had to fall back.

At 1630 12 May, Company A and C of 337th Regiment attacked Hill 66 again and held it. By 17 May, the regiment had moved on past Castellonorato, but on 16 May, the 1st Battalion had been pulled back from Hill 66 and then moved forward toward Castellonorato.

A photo of Hill 66 as viewed from an overlook behind the German lines. View looking South.

Hill 66 is designated by a water tower (see RED arrow).

The 85th Division was aligned along a ridge (YELLOW line) and the towns of Tremensouli and Minturno.

Between the 85th Division and Hill 66 was a small stream, Capo di Aqua, that was heavily mined and ringed with barbed wire.

post-3558-0-58053600-1490301512_thumb.jpg

Wounding 17 May 1944

Just before Midnight on the 11th May, 1944, the 339th Regiment, Company K attacked Hill 66 and adjoining Hill 69. At 0400 12 May Company A of 337th Regiment moved to help Company K, 339th Regiment. By 1500 Hill 69 was captured...but they had to fall back.

At 1630 12 May, Company A and C of 337th Regiment attacked Hill 66 again and held it. By 17 May, the regiment had moved on past Castellonorato, but on 16 May, the 1st Battalion had been pulled back from Hill 66 and then moved forward toward Castellonorato.

A photo of Hill 66 as viewed from an overlook behind the German lines. View looking South.

Hill 66 is designated by a water tower (see RED arrow).

The 85th Division was aligned along a ridge (YELLOW line) and the towns of Tremensouli and Minturno.

Between the 85th Division and Hill 66 was a small stream, Capo di Aqua, that was heavily mined and ringed with barbed wire.

attachicon.gif Hill66.jpg

I appreciate it.Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Here is a description of where he was on Oct 27, 1944.

My Dad's 328FA fired artillery support for the 337 Infantry Regiment. So the Daily Journal of the 328FA describes where the companies were located on the 26th. It doesn't mention their location on the 27th. It gives the map grid coordinates which I can locate for you on an Army map. This mentions the town of PIZZANO which is still located on Google Maps.

post-3558-0-16729200-1497278117_thumb.jpg

Here is a view from Monte Grandee looking back South in the general area that the 337th Regiment had to advance through those muddy mountains after the fall rain.

post-3558-0-10673100-1497278406_thumb.jpg

Here is a quote from the short history of the 85th Infantry Divsion for the last week of October. The 5th Army halted their advance at that time as they had depleted their ammo and the men were exhausted.

The 338th infantry was gradually advancing through rough country towards Monte Fano, which it captured on the 20th. The 337th had been recommitted that day, taking up positions on Monte Cuccoli, and the 339th was moving along the ridge east of Castelvecchio, in a move coordinated with the advance of the 88th Division on the right towards Monte Grande. On the 22nd further orders were received for the coordinated attack. Other elements of the 337th moved up to Farneto on the ridge east of Cuccoli. The 339th went on to attack Hill 459 north of the Parrocchia di Vignale, and the 338th prepared to move forward from Fano towards the strongpoints of Pizzano and Orbega to the northwest. We were now attacking towards the last dominating range of hills in front of the Po Valley.
The fighting on Hill 459 was fierce. The enemy had just brought into this sector the fresh troops of the 42nd Light Infantry Division, and these fiercely counterattacked our first forces to reach the hill, overrunning their positions, and killing or capturing most of the advance elements of two platoons, but the 339th continued to hold Hill 532, north of Castelvecchio. On the 22nd and 23rd the 337th infantry seized Monte Castellaro, and in doing so occupied positions well in the lead of the Fifth Army push towards Highway 9 and the Po Valley.
On the 24th they pushed ahead again to attack Monte Mezzano. The first attack made from the south was met half way up by a strong counter-attacking force which was repulsed, but heavy artillery and mortar concentrations falling on the exposed ridge forced the advance elements to withdraw. The next night the attack was resumed from the draws southwest of the mountain, and this was more successful. By dawn of the 25th there was a heavy fog, and the enemy counterattacked behind an intense barrage. Two or perhaps three companies overran our outpost positions, but the defenders held out against heavy odds until reinforcements drove the enemy off and brought the situation under control.
Holding positions on Mezzano, the Casetta di Vignale (north of Castelvecchio) and Monte Fano, the Division was within striking distance of the Po Valley. The artillery was already firing on objectives north of Highway 9. But it was now evident that the final push into the Valley and beyond would require time for the recuperation of losses and the building up of supplies. Accordingly, on October 26th the Division received orders to establish a defensive line in this sector while preparations were completed for a resumption of the offensive.
Somewhat later the Division was ordered to withdraw from Mezzano and certain other forward positions in order to make the line more even with the positions held by adjacent units. The general line of defense extended west from Castellaro to Casetta di Vignale and on to localities near Pizzano. Other adjustments were made in the weeks that followed, and defensive positions were held until November 22nd when the Division, relieved from the line, moved to a rest area. {Sgt. Christos H. Karaberis, Company L, 337th Regiment, earned the Medal of Honor for his attack on enemy positions towards their objective of Casoni di Remagna on November 1.}
When it passed to reserve the Division had completed 70 consecutive days of fighting since on September 13th it first attacked the Gothic Line. The advances of October represented an achievement equal to any the Division had to its credit. Less spectacular than the attacks on well-publicized Defense Lines, the incessant drive over the mountains in the heavy, chilling rain demanded the most in endurance and resourcefulness. Since Canda the Division had advanced to within 8 miles of the Po Valley, driving a salient in the enemy's territory as the spearhead of the Fifth Army attack.
Since May the Division had taken an important part in two great drives against the strongest defensive positions the enemy could construct and had driven the enemy back through the harsh and barren mountains of the northern Appennines. It had defeated several German divisions--the 94th, the Hermann Goering, the 362nd---and had cut up the Lehr Brigade and elements of the 4th Parachute and 42nd Light Infantry Divisons. In the course of its progress it had taken 4937 prisoners. After less than a year of combat, the 85th Division had established itself as one of the best.