OSI USAFE Kriminalpolizei ID Disk? Badge

nbolinger

Got this in a collection of stuff, the badge looks like a Gestapo badge, did a quick search and didnt find anything. Figured id post it here. Thanks for any help i can get.

post-9905-0-81772500-1447027891.jpg

post-9905-0-57135600-1447027945.jpg

Patchcollector

Interesting piece.The OSI(Office of Special Investigations) is a USAF unit.Here is some "WIKI" info on them:

The United States Air Force Office of Special Investigations (AFOSI, or OSI), is a U.S. federal law enforcement agency that reports directly to the Office of the Secretary of the Air Force. Operating worldwide, AFOSI provides independent criminal investigative, counterintelligence and protective service operations outside of the traditional military chain of command. AFOSI proactively identifies, investigates and neutralizes, serious criminal, terrorist, and espionage threats to personnel and resources of the U.S. Air Force and the Department of Defense, thereby protecting the national security of the United States.

I would think that this was used as a badge or tag so that Germans would be able to understand it.

The modern day Kriminalpolizei used identity discs like this. The one I say was attached to a bracelet and kept up the sleeve of the owner.

Never seen nor heard of anything like this for US personnel.

Thanks for the help, they myst be tuff to find i cant find a single picture of one. They look so much like the Gestapo one i bet the people would freak out when showed the badge.

I freaked out when I had one presented to me. An investigator showed up after we had some vandalism at a site in the field. Someone from the local village decided it would be fun to torch an unguarded generator. It fell to the Kriminalpolizei

to investigate the incident, and I was quite happy he was there. For the short time we were going to be at that location, we did not need any more problems with the locals.

• 4 weeks later...

That is cool.I would say a joint USAF OSI and W.GermanPolice.Reminds me of the German WW2 police disc's. I can't imagine a U.S. Airman/agent using this. The OSI had their own shield.

afosi+pin+copy.jpg

I looked for an example on Google Images of a modern day badge and made the mistake of putting in "Kriminalpolizei warrant disc"... that pulled up all sorts of Gestapo badges.

I finally stumbled across the correct modern nomenclature as "Kriminalpolizei marke" and found all sorts of examples.

On the reverse side they were typically numbered and had the seal of the local jurisdiction.

Apparently the East Germans used a similar badge.

But none of the photos I pulled up were for US personnel.

Kriminalpolizei marke 2.jpg

Volkspolizei marke.JPG

However, I did find this address listing:

http://www.cid.army.mil/unitsforeign.html#germany

Germany
5th Military Police Battalion (CID)
Military Address:
HHD, 5th MP Bn (CID)
5th MP Bn (CID)
Unit 23119
APO AE 09054-3119
Civilian Address:
Amerikanische Kriminalpolizei
Mannheimer Str., Geb. 3212
Kleber Kaserne
67657 Kaiserslautern
or
Amerikanische Kriminalpolizei
Postfach 1507
67604 Kaiserslautern
COM: 011-49-631-411-5639/5604/5628
DSN: 314-483-5639/5604/5628
DSN Fax: 314-483-5639

This one is not Army CID. It is AF, USAF Europe USAFE) Office Special Investigations (OSI). I'm loving it.

Yes, I knew that. This was the only good hit I could find for "Amerikanische Kriminalpolizei". I could not find an OSI reference on the internet used with that term, but perhaps further digging might turn up something.

Keep in mind that the US Forces in Europe have really drawn down from what they were... OSI's presence might be really small in the current environment. I am sure the submitted badge is from a much earlier time period.

• 6 months later...

Cool. You won't see that very often. Very likely those were supposed to be turned in at the end of tour.

• 6 years later...

According to a retired OSI agent these were issued to agents assigned to Germany. The agent was required to turn it in when reassigned. A common going away gift was a replica.